AM WORKOUT (0545 wake up via Valkyrie's alarm, 0900 workout)
WILDCARD
Buffalo bar squat
38+12x225 (Dan John's "to 50" approach)
20 minute EMOM of
5 chins
5 dips
10 band pull aparts
Cooldown walk around the block
Notes:
It's a travel day today, I won't have access to my gym until 15 Sep at the earliest, and I've already tested out my maxes for Grey Man. On top of all that, I've just been wiped out this week and how low enthusiasm, so I decided to break out the Ironmind classic "Squat-dip-chin".
I'm very pleased with that effort of 38 reps. 40 would have, of course, been more satisfying from a base 10 perspective, but those first 20 reps were cyborg perfection. Even with the grip shirt, the bar was getting too low toward the end, forcing me to hike it up, which put it in a weird spot on my back, causing the chest to collapse on the final few reps and triggering a vomit-like response. 50 is the white whale, I'll catch it one day, but at a bodyweight of 175lbs, this is my best effort on this.
I was curious how that'd circuit at the end would go, especially after racking the bar and then getting in that other set of 12 to finish. I had ambitions of making the dips sets of 10, but my chest is actually pretty sore from benching, which is a fun novel stimulus. I really like that the EMOM structure in general to build up the volume, but also recognize it's not quite the hypertrophy stimulus that sets closer to failure would get me.
Did a Dan John "to 50" squat AND a post workout walk. Wasn't 40 minutes, was more of a shuffle/lumber, but got some steps. Happy with that.
No weigh in. Going into vacation with my lightest bodyweight on my mind so that I can just eat and enjoy.
No comments:
Post a Comment