Thursday, October 3, 2024

 Training Log: Entry 3370

AM WORKOUT (0400 wake up via alarm)


**OPERATION CONAN** Recon and Scouting


Roll out on LAX ball

70x320 reverse hyper

3.7 mile/60 minute treadmill walk, first 1.5 miles at 4 incline, second 1.5 at 4.5, final .7 at 5

2:15 hang from bar with pull up every 30 seconds (new PR)


BREAKFAST


Longer walk w/dogs


14232 steps before 0740


Notes:


* This should conclude the Recon and Scouting phase, with next week being the initial assault wave/shock troop phase.  I’m only getting in 2 lifting workouts this week, but that technically falls within the scope of “Fighter”, so I did one TB workout instead of another, which still works.  2 decision points driving this.  My left hip is still a little achy from the squats, which, in and of itself, isn’t too concerning, but given I have a Tang Soo Do tournament on Saturday and a clinic on Sunday, I’d prefer my hip to be in a more functional state so I can kick above my waist, and trying to cram in a workout beforehand is going to make the 7ish hour drive miserable, put me in a compromised state of recovery, and reduce my effectiveness.  What would I gain from the workout?  Some sort of muscular stimulus.  With no lifting competition on the horizon, the decision is easy, but I’m also pretty proud of myself for making it, because not long ago I would have unquestionably fit this in somehow.  And, upon my return from the tournament, it will be another 2 days of lifting that week vs 3, since I get back on a Monday, but I’ll use that to break in to the next phase, where I’ll be using 5 work sets.


* These walk workouts can’t be skipped.  They’re doing awesome things for my recovery between workouts.  I’m also noticing that, typical me, I keep progressing these workouts.  I told myself this morning I was just going to take it easy, and instead I used a higher incline than last time.  The goal is NOT to become a champion walker, but I’m at least making it a point to breathe through my nose the entire time, which is autoregulating me.  Meanwhile, walking fast on an incline does seem to be helping with aches and pains.  I remember Dan John said walking backwards uphill was good for knees too: I’ll have to give that a try.


* The PR on the hang was pretty cool.  It’s such an easy way to build/maintain grip strength.


* We skipped Tang Soo Do last night: kiddo seemed like they were coming down with a bug, and we wanted them to be rested and recovered for the tournament.

No comments:

Post a Comment