Wednesday, September 11, 2024

 Training Log: Entry 3350

AM WORKOUT (0410 wake up via alarm)


**PRE-COMPETITION DELOAD**


2:05 hang from bar, pull up every 30 seconds

3 mile treadmill walk at 3.5 pace and 6 incline

50x180 reverse hyper

50 band pull aparts


BREAKFAST


Moderate walk w/dogs


Notes:


* Continuing the wind down and healing.  I continue to feel better.  I woke up this morning and saw my heart rate was at 36, so I’d say that’s a good sign that my recovery is on point.  Once again, the danger of me having a fit tracker: I obsess over data.  And in that regard, between the treadmill and the dogs, I got in 11k steps before 0800 today.


* Kept everything easy: low incline on the treadmill, low weights on the reverse hyper.  I’m actually being intelligent about this deload/this competition in general.  Growing up a bit.  It feels good to feel good, and in particular I like this style of deload I’m employing: focus on walking/general movement.  I think, next time, I’d like to get in a bit more bodyweight work, but the max testing helped serve as some resistance training.  Thinking even more about it, I suppose this is really how I live when I’m on a cruise, which tends to serve as my deloads in life.  


* Weighed in at 79.3 kg.  This is the thing I DON’T like about competitions: I’m so focused on making weight that I’m honestly undereating.  I have a LOT of leeway heading into the comp now, which is cool, as it means I can eat big, but it also means I left behind some strength compared to if I had kept intake higher through the process.  That being said, last night for dinner I had 6 burger patties from Freddy’s, that I topped off with some grassfed ghee and ate alongside some pork crackling and grassfed cottage cheese…and then the rest of my kid’s leftover burger.  So weighing in at this weight after SO much sodium is really a good sign.  And the night before was the carb up night, and once again, last night, I went to bed looking absolutely peeled.  I’ve really got a solid way forward on my nutrition, and I think I’ll lay out “the plan” for that rolling into Operation Conan.


* And on the topic of that, I was walking into work today thinking about how, between Mass Protocol and Book 1 of Tactical Barbell, I always have the option to take some time away from Mass and focus on some basic strength and conditioning, should I find myself in that situation.  Which, yeah, 5/3/1 can afford me that too.  No issue having too many ways to succeed.  The big thing I’ve noticed is I’m really gravitating AWAY from lifting all the time.  I like keeping myself down to 3 days a week, and shorter workouts.  Dan John talked about how the amount of extra work one needs to do beyond the basics in order to see real benefits is so much exponentially beyond the latter that it’s not worth trying to work in the middle ground.  IE: 3 days a week of moderate training will get you 80% of the results, but to get 90% of the results, you don’t do 4 days a week of moderate training, but instead 7 days per week of intense training.  I’ve definitely lived that, and I don’t need it right now.


* Tang Soo Do last night was pretty low energy, which is what I needed.  Focus on 1-steps.  My hip is feeling better as I kick, which is a good sign.  Doing it again tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment