Sunday, June 30, 2024

 Training Log: Entry 3289

Chaos is the plan


I say that, because it looks like my competition has been canceled.  The only indication being that I received a notification on facebook saying it was canceled, and when I go to look up the event at IronPodium, it's not there any more.


This is the third time this has happened to me over the course of 14 competitions, which is not a good average, and one of the many reasons I was falling out of love with the sport before.  It's not professional.


But, chaos is the plan.  My in-laws are coming into town to help us rebuild our deck in our backyard and celebrate the 4th.  Before, I was going to have to be in a weight cutting phase during the 4th/their stay.  Now, I figure I can call this a 1 week diet break, enjoy the company, eat well, and then get back to leaning out, because I'm actually seeing some solid progress there.  I'm also feeling small and scrawny again: such is life.  Chase one goal, then the other.


On that note, I'll have to come up with a new way forward for training.  That grappling competition is now the closest alligator to the boat, so emphasizing conditioning and full body strength while keeping my bodyweight in a good place will be prime.  I may continue to wing it, or I may follow another plan.  I'll give myself a week to figure that out.


I'd love to connect with that armed combat group to get in some reps and possibly even some grappling.  We'll see if that happens.



Meanwhile, for weekend training, on Saturday the family walked 4.5 miles, I got in some practice throws and I did my axle mat pull deadlifts off of 3 mats





I managed 8, 4 and 2 with 426, using rest pause.  Straps were really well set for this one.


Also got in a lot of outside chores, lawn mowing, etc.  Lotta time maximizing sun exposure.


Today (Sunday), we did a 5.5 mile walk, got in more chores, more practice throws, and still did a zercher yoke workout, because I wasn't ready to call it quits





I did 4 back to back runs w/160, 1 back to back with 250, 1 back to back with 340, and then I di 410 as far as I could...which wasn't far, but I dug the struggle.


More chores outside maximizing sun exposure as well.



Dinner tonight was wonderful: 3 sunny side up pastured eggs and 4 venison chops.  






I'm going to try to not completely reverse course and eat like an a-hole this week, but I'll be allowing myself to enjoy this time and feast as appropriate.  Which, on that note, my wife made some oatmeal peanut butter cookies that are definitely going to be part of my carb refeed tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment