Saturday, October 15, 2005

Training Log: Entry 144

San Diego throwdown/sambo leg lock seminar results

Left ankle is killing me.  Possible minor sprain.  No
biggie.  Learned a lot of cool crap.  Got to work ankle
locks, heel hooks, and knee bars.  Definitely a fan of the heel
hook.  Lots of cool set-ups.

Suspicions confirmed: I fight much better from a boxing stance than a
Muay Thai one.  I also do better with wrestling shoes than
barefoot.  This didn't save me from getting an old fashioned ass
kicking from an old fashioned Kenpo guy.  Now need to work on
1: Being less aggressive.  Aggression is good, controlled
aggression is better.  I'm getting killed by counter punchers.
2: Not leading with my head.
3: Working away from a predictable pattern.
4: Finding my range.

Did get to make good use of front leg roundhouse kicks and spin
sidekicks.  Used some push-kicks.  My opponent was more or
less stationary, waiting for me to strike.
Got to tap a few folks with a headcrank that I made up on the spot.  Fun.


Still dropping that hand a little bit.  Still need to tuck my chin.



Picture of us all.  Dig me sporting the wrestling shoes.

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had some good experiences and learned a bit today.  I am really happy for you.  Sounds like you didn't get too hurt just some minor things.  It is good that you were able to take away what you learned and hopefully apply it more to accomplish your goals.  I am very happy for you.  It seems as if it was a fun day for you.  I am so proud of you!!! You never cease to amaze me.  Keep up your hard work! I love you!!! ~aloha~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool pictures. Nothing like giving a friendly thumbs-up after beating the crap out of each other. Glad to see your back didn't hurt your ability, but I hope the ankle gets better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love leg locks also toe holds, heel hooks, knee bars all of them good job bro

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey pal. I started lifting again. I stopped the distance running (for the most part. every once in a while i'll get out there and run for old time sakes. So yeah, not much cardio so i won't be an ectomorph for much longer. I can feel myself getting bigger. I need to work on my legs a bit more though. I also need to find a martial arts place, although right now my masochistic hobbies are weight lifting and breakdancing. get back at me , i could use some advice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. what kinda advice do ya need?Glad you finally came to terms about being an ectomorph =P

    ReplyDelete
  6. Like, how I should set my workouts up.Right now i'm doing simple stuff-- working sets down with reps 15, 12, 8, 8 I Can definitly feel myself getting bigger, and i'm only doing one or two exercises per body group (only one exercise for tris and one for bis) Should i step this up? right now my time in the weight room and my time sleeping is limited because i'm applying to colleges and all that jazz, but as soon as its over i'll be in there way more often. Also, how should i work my cardio in? k, take care man

    ReplyDelete