Sunday, May 1, 2005

Training log: Entry 91

Cut phase going extremely well.  Cardio gradually building
up.  Already lost protruding stomach.  Now must work on
muscular definition.  Will hopefully have pictures soon.

Semester evalutation:
Am a sprawl and brawler.  No use denying it.  Wrestling game
me some good positioning, but my submission skills are severly
lacking.  GnP might work in FC events, but in sparring and limited
striking tourines (ala: Pankration) it ain't happening.  Until they day comes about that I get into some real FC events, I
gotta just stay on my feet.  Thankfully, my striking (though ugly)
seems to do the trick.

Speaking of striking: Need to work on integrating kick and punch game,
rather than making them seperate entities.  Also need to become
more confident in kicks in general.  When shit hits the fan, I'm a
boxer/wrestler, as displayed by my tourny performance.  It gets me
by, but I'd prefer more.  Knees seem to be doing the trick
though.  Elbows non-existant: no one spars with them.

Boxing improved amazingly.  Video evidence showed me all my
holes.  Now making sure to bring hands back after punching. 
Also learned that the reason my left hand dropped instead of my right
after the "correction" was that during shadowboxing/bagwork I only
throw 2 punches instead of 3+.  I was used to a "1-2" combo,
meaning I could return my right hand just fine, but would drop my left
hand in anticipation of my "3" whenever attempting anything else. 
Hoping I fixed that.  Video will show.

Really wish I could be back in wrestling, but as it stands, just gotta rely on what I got.  Greco would be awesome.

Have to find a new school.  I scoped out a new boxing and MMA
place close by my college, but would need to see if it had a working
schedule.  Transportation would be geat.  Old place got way
too big way too fast.

Or, I may go a new route.  San Shou would be cool.  Maybe
some Judo.  Might even go the cheap/free route and join my schools
American Kickboxing club.

In regards to physical fitness: Started powerlifting.  Got
hooked.  Long rest times are a killer though.  Remember to
bring a book.  Got my bench back up to it's old number even with
injuries constantly setting me back.  Will need to struggle to
find a new way to get by without a squat rack while I'm at home. 
Lack of olympic weights sucks as well.

Added on 10ish pounds during bulking phase.  Am now around 20lbs
heavier than when I started the blog (numbers may be off. 
Originally took weight with crappy electronic scale).  Cutting
phase is a go. 

And of course, results: Still going great at throwdowns, and even
managed to score a win at a pankration tournament, so I know I'm not
all bad (especially given I had about 0 sub knowledge at the time, so
won with wrestling and striking).  Can only hope to improve from
here.

Miller-out.

5 comments:

  1. I'm right there with you on relying on boxing when I get desperate, I guess we decided to work on kicks at the same time (great minds think alike). Congrats again on your success with the powerlifting. I'm used to minute-long rests, but I'm gonna switch to your route soon. Looking forward to any pictures

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just keep the hip movement fluid and the kicks will flow naturally. Don`t forget the front snap kick!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Despite injuries, it sounds as if you have accomplished some of the goals that you have set out for yourself and have accomplished things you didn't expect to do.  I am so proud of you!!! Your dedication and commitment are truly adirable.  I can't wait to see how the cutting phase progresses.  You are truly amazing.  Keep up all the hard work, I know you will do well.  You never cease to amaze me!  Take care...~aloha~

    ReplyDelete
  4. hahahah a light Jared Miller?! MILLER LIGHT BITCHES!!!

    ReplyDelete