Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Training Log: Entry 850

SSB box squats of 355
3x5

Notes: Weight is getting heavy now. I'm finding the squat is easier when I push the handles back rather than pull them forward, will have to experiment and see how I want to roll with this. I cut out the work capacity set due to feeling sick. I got my sled in today, so that should help with work capacity.

Weighted dips of 125
5,3,3
1x23 of bodyweight

Notes: Finally hitting my stopping point on sets of 5. Assuming my elbows keep in check, progress should still continue well.

For all you kids playing along at home, I know what you're doing to cause chest/shoulder/sternum pain in dips, because I did it once on my work capacity set.  Leaning forward is the primary culprit, which is a tendency most likely promoted due to wanting to recruit the pecs on the dips to compensate for weak triceps, possibly a result of a lot of time spent benching prior to beginning a strength training program.  Additionally, when the forward lean occurs, the shoulders relax and drift outward, possibly an attempt of the body to turn the parallel grip into a horizontal one, again like the bench.  This results in dropping incredibly far on the dip and removing all stability in the shoulder girdle, placing a high degree of stress on supporting ligaments/tendons and puts one in a mechanically disadvantageous position.  This was the first time I ever felt this sort of pain on dips, and thankfully I only did it for one rep, but it gave me a look into what other folks are doing.  If I can crack why people's hips hurt when they squat, I'll be good.

DB rows of 150
3x11

Notes: My bench should come in soon, so hopefully I can stop using absurd volume on this movement.

1 comment:

  1. I figured the gist of this out on my own eventually but I really could have used that analysis a while back when I was unable to do dips because of the pain, haha.

    ReplyDelete