Saturday, April 19, 2008

Training Log: Entry 572

I've managed 2 workouts over the past 5 days, getting back into my routine.  Made a modification, only working 3x5 instead of 4x5.  It's been working for millions of kids on Rippetoe, prolly work just fine for me.  Also switched from conventional deadlifts to SLDLs.  I can pull just as much this way as with conventional.  I figure I'm a stiff leg puller.  At least this way I can practice less rounding and more arching. 

Day A:

Squats of 315
3x5

Notes: 2 weeks or so off from this was murder on my PC.  Extremely sore for days.

Bench of 225
3x5

Notes: Weight dropped drastically on this, but I figure it's using the base gym's crappy equipment and having to wear a t-shirt.  Murdered my shoulders, and have to basically pin press the weight just to set it up.  Not really going to sweat this.

Pull-ups w/30lbs
3x5

Notes: Gym doesn't have a single straight bar to pull-up on, stupid crap.  Used some wonky handles at angles.   Setting up my power cage soon, so won't have this issue next workout.

Assistance work

Hise shrugs of 275
2x15
Superset with light band pull-aparts
2x15

Notes: Still have a lot more in me on hise shrugs

Neck harness work

Day B

SLDL of 405
3x5

Notes: Felt much more natural and way stronger.  No lowerback pain to speak of, so screw the critics.  Recovered from these way faster.

Strict press of 175
3x5

Notes: No fatigue to speak of this time.  Minor shoulder pain in the left shoulder, but otherwise good to go.

Bent over rows of 185
3x5

Notes: The rings on the bars here are way too close together, so have to adjust accordingly.

 

No assistance work to speak of at this time, but might hit it up later this weekend.

 

Going to use this low volume opportunity to work on my gripper strength, which was on the back burner with Westside.

8 comments:

  1. PPP is going to kick your ass for doing SLDLs

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know he opposed SLDLs.
    And he missed his chance to kick my ass when I was only 4 hours away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I asked him the difference between RDL's and SLDL's once and he said SLDL's almost force you to round your back, or something like that. *shrug*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, it's true, but at the same time, it depends on if the first S stands for Straight or Stiff.  In either case though, a rounded back isn't necessarily a bad thing, as long as it has a purpose.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never had issues roudnign my back with SLDLs (either version), but then i've never done them to a max.So, you're telling me a military gym doesnt have a place to do pullups?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, it has tons of places to do pull-ups, just none with a straight bar.  All sorts of weird varations.  And if I wanted to hit one of the fitness trails with a straight bar on it, I couldn't really bring out my weight and dip belt.
    But it'll be a non-issue next workout.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a similar issue on pull-ups (LA Fitness...x.x), but I'm usually lifting with relatively few people in the free weights area, so I just put a bar in the top position of one of the squat racks, or, if absolutely necessary, use a pin set high on the side of the power cage. Apparently everyone else in the world either does pull-ups with a very wide grip, or has shoulders four feet across. x.x

    ReplyDelete