Friday, November 19, 2004

Teaching Log: Entry 1


Have 2 students as of now.  One of them is a natural: has a decent right cross, keeps his elbows close and tight, and his hands up.  He's also got a decent build (not big, but at least not skinny).


The other student is...well, not.  He'll require a lot of work if he chooses to stick with it.


They want to learn basic Mixed Martial Arts stuff (ie: fighting standing and on the ground).  I explained that my wrestling knowledge pretty much means they're gonna be Ground and Pounders, and they're cool with that.


Lesson:
Stance
Jab
Cross
Drill 1: I held my hands up for them and had them strike with jab or cross.  I informed them with flaws in form (elbows not in, hands dropping, etc)
Drill 2: Combinations: Jab-cross, Jab-jab.  Drilled on hands.


Dodging punches (I explained how the standard bob and weave leads to knee strikes to the head, and showed them a modified version better suited for MMA).
Drill 1: I attacked with a right cross or left hook, and they dodged appropriately
Drill 2: They attacked with a combination, and then dodged an oncoming attack
Drill 3: Same as 2, except they recovered with an attack of their own


I gave them some tips on training at home.  I hope they make use of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment