Thursday, November 18, 2004

Training Log: Entry 30


Went to my boxing class for the first time in 2 months.  ROTC has kept me too busy.


Drill 1: Attacker jabs, defender counters with jab
Drill 2: Attacker jabs, defender counters with jab-cross
                       Both drills focused on closing the gap between when the attacker jabs and defender coutners.
Drill 3:  Attacker jab-right cross, defender jab-cross-low left hook-high left hook
Drill 4:  Attacker jab-right cross, defender double jabs-lefter uppercut-right hook


Moved onto focus mitt drills
Drill 1: Attacker jab-wide right, defender drives his left elbow into attacker while covering head from right-puts the left hand on the attacker's face and pushes away-right cross-left hook-right cross
Drill 2: Attacker jabs-left hook, defender right drive elbow and cover-slaps attacker away-left hook-right cross-left hook


After that, conditioning with slapping the Thai pad on partner's abs.  Focus on breathing on impact.  2 sets of 20.
After that, staying on knuckles on concerete floor and doing slow push-ups.


After that, I got to do some sparring.


Sparring notes:


Pros: I finally utilized body shots (was not going exclusively for headshots).  This was literally the first time I have ever done this.
I attempted combinations rather than just poking with single shots
I managed to do extremely well in the southpaw stance, and noticed it threw off the partner
I made good use of the clinch


Cons:
My guard was everywhere.  I still lose it when I start fighting.
I stayed out too much.  I'm an infighter, and I need to fight like one.  I can't get overwhelmed and play the distance game with a bigger guy.
My cardio is shot to hell.  Result of lack of training as of recently.  I was dying.
I did not evade.  I still fight like a tank: slow, heavy, and taking abuse to deal damage.  I might like that way, but I still get rocked when I spar as a result.  Should at least have some evasion game.


Personal Notes: I love boxing as an art, but hate it as an art.  I find the rules restricting, and I hate those fuckin' nerf gloves.  I only really felt one shot that hurt, and I know that my partner coulda walked through a barrage of what I fed him without feeling much pain.  Much rather box with MMA gloves.  Lighter gloves=more respect for strikes.

1 comment:

  1. Your boxing class sounds pretty sweet. Hate the boxing gloves as well.

    ReplyDelete