Wednesday, December 1, 2004

Teaching Log: Entry 2


Spent some time warming up.  Then went over what I had previously taught them (re-drilled Jab-cross, combinations, and defenses to said attacks, along with proper stance)


Taught them lead and rear hand hook.  Drilled the movement independent of striking anything.  Moved on to alllowing them to hit the heavybag while I held it.  Showed them how to use it in combinations, and the proper distancing to fire it.  Taught them proper handplacement.


Moved onto both short and long uppercut with lead and rear hand.  Went through same routine as hook.


Had them drill hook/uppercut along with Jab-cross with "focus-hand" drills (do not have access to focus pads).  Later encorperated defenses into the drill.  At that point, training had ended.


Teaching notes: Both struggled with the hook, but when it came to rear uppercut, the skinnier student had an easier time grasping power generation.  I suggested both perform squats to help.  They have in fact been training in front of a mirror/on the heavy bag as I instructed them.


Next lesson will be Thai stance/kicks.

2 comments:

  1. Sweet. They'll get a nice feel for the nice range and the amazing power!I'll make sure to check in, as I can try out covering my kick training by reading the basics you post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep in mind, I'm no fight coach.  I'm just going off of what I learned.  But if it helps, more power to you.

    ReplyDelete