Friday, February 11, 2005

Training Log: Entry 60


Took another Aikido class.  Made the instructor struggle with some techniques.  Still trying to offer resistance to make the class a bit more realistic.  Once again, very logical system, just hard to find application.  I am enjoying the concept of putting my entire body against the weakest point though.


Adding new levels to my training.  First, will be attempting to implement some manner of stretching program into my routine.  Lack of flexibility has been a hinderance.  I've also been told of the benefits of stretching.  The Aikdio class does an alright job (oddly enuogh, better than the yoga club), but I still want more.


Should seriously increase water intake.  I used to drink a gallon a day, but running to the bathroom has gotten inconvinient.


I am retraining certain parts of my TKD aresnal.  Specificially, the sidekick.  I can see some value in this kick, and have been able to launch one from the Thai stance without too much alteration.  I have come to the conclusion that variety is going to be essential.  Almost everyone is out there training Muay Thai, Boxing, Wrestling, and BJJ, which means everyone knows how to stop everyone else.  I think adding a little bit of variety could give me an edge.  I have witnessed this when watching a Shorin Kempo guy do exceedingly well in "throwdowns" due to the fact that he had clinch work that was completely unorthodox along with a set of strikes that were foreign.  If nothing else, it'll be good for my flexibility.

6 comments:

  1. I am really happy to hear that you are trying to implement stretching as part of your routine.  It is really fascinating how you are enable to incorporate many schools of thought to making your fighting style eclectic.  Congrats on all your hard work.  Look forward to hearing more.  You're amazing!  ~aloha~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Couldn't agree more on that last part, coincidentally I commented on that in one of my previous entries. Good luck with that. Would you consider Tae Kwon Do to be a good way in implement stronger kicks into your move list?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The thing is, you really shouldn't look at fighting as a "moves list".  That's how JKD fell into a trap: it had no foundation, just a collection of moves thrown together with no rhyme or reason.  What you need to do is establish a strong foundation, and build upon it with techniques/principles/strategies that COMPLIMENT your foundation rather than go against everything you train for.  For instance, I'm not training my sidekick from a TKD stance, but from a Muay Thai one, because it would be pointless for me to be good at a technique that doesn't coincide with how I fight.
    I like TKD.  I respect TKD.  I think a good TKD school will make you just much of a badass as anythign else if done right.  It's just not how I personally fight, so I have to train it a bit differently.
    As for "strong kicks", it depends on your definition.  TKD will definiately give you a good variety to chose from, but most schools train for sport rather than actual combat, and the kicks degenerate into tapping rather than destruction.

    ReplyDelete
  4. But what would you say about taking a specific style for striking and a different one for grappling and using techniques from both in a fight? Why not learn different styles to complement each other?

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's different from having a "move list".  You're learning different styles for different ranges of combat.  You aren't using your Muay Thai for your groundwork, just like you're not using your BJJ for strikes.
    The difference is one is about having a few entire systems that you draw upon.  The other is about having a jab from boxing, a reverse punch from shotokan, a Muay Thai push kick, a TKD roundhouse, etc etc.  One is a system, the other is an eclectic mess with no foundation to work upon that results more in confusion than in ass kicking.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Didn't Pat Smith demonstrate the usefullnes of a good sidekick against Scott Morris in UFC 2 (Damnit,  still ned to get that fight)?
    Man, I feel so lazy after reading your logs, I didn't train all week, because things came up, didn't have time, etc. Now I feel like a lazy piece of crap. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete