Saturday, April 2, 2005

Training Log: Entry 83


Went to an Aikido class yesterday.  Really cool stuff because it was essentially a one on one lesson.  Learned some stuff that actually seemed applicable to the submission grappling game.  Also helping the instructor find how well the stuff works "against a wrestler".  Learned "Tenshin Nage", Heaven and Earth throw.  Has a nice little subtle movement at first that I need to remember.  Also need to focus on footwork.


Everytime I go to the Aikdio class, I walk away impressed.  Extremely logical system.  I'm just curious how well I can apply this is a live environment.


I may be done training at my current MA school.  I think my contract has run out, and I won't be renewing.  Place fell apart while I was there.  Got too big too fast.  Still, learned a lot of valuable lessons.  Possibly learning Judo this summer, and might venture into San Shou when I get back.  We'll see how things go.  Future is still open.

8 comments:

  1. Dude, for real for real, avoid Judo. That`s all i hear from people who took it. It`s so great, but it RUINS your back insanely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool. Big classes have their ups, but overall I prefer a smaller class because you get better instruction, and the teacher can help you out more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd only be doing it for the summer.  If nothing else, I'll just use it to brush up on my grappling.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sucks about your school getting crapified. Is your contract up now, or do you still have a little bit left? You should be fine for a while as long as you got a bag in your gym, but I'm sure you already know this. Good luck finding a new school when you start looking into it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Neh, i left my old school a month before my contract let up because it also got crapified. It`s demoralizing to train in a building that went downhill. It`s a shame me and Emevas had to face it, but we`re going to be in a support group soon (i can`t back that up).

    ReplyDelete
  6. My school isn't too bad, I just don't think I can benefit much more from it.  I think the place was a great place to get a decent foundation, but now I want to specialize a little bit.
    I'm gonna write a review about the place when I'm officially done.  I have one more month left it seems. 

    ReplyDelete
  7. Man, my school turned to total shit.Hardly ever sparred anymore. Belt tests every 3 months. Cut class times. And to top it all off, they kept changing the way things were done to the point where everyone was doing things differently.Okay, byebye.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ja. When I switched Karate studios, I went from a caring sensei who would correct you on the spot to a crappy instructor who wouldn't correct even the most basic thing even if it was blatantly wrong and he was staring right at you... then to an even crappier brownbelt instructor who was teaching a blackbelt class and never had the littler kids spar because she couldn't keep track of that many people, when there was no requirement to have everyone sparring at the same time.
    Yeah, and you thought YOUR school was bad :)

    ReplyDelete