Monday, February 13, 2006

Training Log: Entry 189


Another MMA club meeting under my belt.  The best one yet.


4 people


WC Guy, Kyokushin/BJJ Chick, TKD guy and a new guy.  Some MT/submission stuff.


Started off by teaching the achilles lock and the heel hook.  Drilled it for a bit. 


WC guy showed us some Chin Na from a wrist grab.  Really cool stuff.  It was like Aikido that actually made sense.  Key thing to remember is knifehand to wrist and using fingers as level on opponent.  Learned how to move from wrist grab to standing armbar.


KK/BJJ chick went over triangle choke (finally made this work) and armbar from guard.


WC guy drilled some trapping from the jab into elbow/armbar.


MT guy showed a leg trip from the clinch.  I showed him how he could tie that all together with the footlocks from the start of class.


Sparring:


1 short round with the MT guy.  He didn't have a mouthguard or shin guards, so he just wanted to do some light boxing.  I just worked some defense, and threw an occasional shot in.  Had an annoying habit of going "Damnit!" and stopping whenever he got struck.  Reminded me of point sparring.  Gave him a few pointers.


Did some drill stuff with WC guy.  If I didn't have my shin guards, I'd be hurting.  Good defense, but panics in the clinch.  I had one great knee to the face, that if I had connected, woulda been a fight ender.  He's fun to work with.  Wish he'd do some Sanda with  me, but he doesn't like gloves.


Rolling:


Rolled with BJJ chick.  Once again, I won by strength.  She did well on manuevering.  Put me in an RNC that I escaped just barely.  Move a lot from guard to half guard to side control (used a far cardle twice to get side control...pretty nifty).  Eventually ended up getting the kimura from side control.  My wind held out pretty good.


Notes:


Still didn't get to dash in when boxing.  I had the instinct which was a plus, but with light contact it seemed pointless and stupid.  Must remember to keep my hands up when fist start flying.  Wish TKD guy brought a mouthguard, but oh well.  Great meeting.  Hope every other one was like this. 

6 comments:

  1. DAMMIT!You should have KO'ed the TKDer for the win, and posted a video.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like I said, he's senior to me in ROTC, so that's a no can do =P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Damn, that sounds like some quality work you're getting done in these meetings. I'm jealous. Is the size increasing everytime?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was an all time huge turnout that I'm hoping to maintain.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm going to go to the next meeting, just to KO the TKD guy. Either that or power clean him until he pukes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's awesome that your club is growing. Maybe not at an exponential rate, but its happening slowly but surely. Glad your getting some variety in your sparring, the more kinds of people that you get to fight, the better a fighter you will become because of it. Happy to hear your having a good time.

    ReplyDelete