Wednesday, February 1, 2006

Training Log: Entry 184


Finally, a MMA club meeting I'm happy about.


Wing Chunish guy showed up.  Didn't wanna spar because he had just ate.  Kinda shot my hopes down.  However, new guy with a Kenpo and grappling background showed up.  I saw him with his staff and started to worry about what kinda fighter he was, but he showed me more than enough competenace.  Pretty much fought like a kickboxer.  No real tricks.  Some solid kick, punch, and clinch game.  We agreed on a lot of points about fighting.


Sparred 2 rounds with him.


1st: Basically feeling each other out, seeing how intense we wanted to go.  Fired a couple of low leg roundhouses just to test the waters.  Still hit with my instep.  Too nice of me.  Did a lot of at range fighting, only exchanged a few ugly flurries of punches (so much for boxing).  I threw a few sidekicks with right leg to recover from missed rear leg roundhouses.  Not too many push-kicks.  Got hit with a hard roundhouse to the ribs that knocked the wind out of me for a few seconds before I was ready to go again.  Eventually adopted the strategy of one or two punches to distract and then a rear leg roundhouse.


2nd: More of the same.  Worked on my movement.  Noticed he was kinda flat footed, so I worked my angles to get him.  Threw some slow head level kicks.  Droped my hands at some points (ugh).  Just pretty much the same thing.  Next time we'll prolly go harder now that we're comfortable.


Notes: He switches stances midfight.  Must tag him while he does it.  He's not too comfortable in boxing range.  Need to eat a kick to get in and punish.  Work my clinch more.  HANDS UP.


We rolled once.  This really made my night.


Kid rolled like a wrestler.  Hard and fast the whole time.  The one quality he lacked was balance.  I rolled him about 3 times before he caught on.  Did some posistional fighting and I fought out that he had great manuevering versus my poor grappling game.  Everytime I'd get him, he'd move out on me, and made it tough for me to regain.  I eventually ended up pulling guard, which ended up with me being mounted.  I have no clue what to do here as I've discovered many a times.  He went for the armbar, I went with it and stacked him.  Passed his legs for sidemount.  He put me in halfguard, then I slapped a kimura/americana/figure 4 on him (I don't know which one, so I list them all). 


Notes: Cardio still holds up well.  He woulda won odds are if I didn't have the strength advantage, although he was a strong kid.  My go to seems to be either guilltine of kimura from half guard. 


All in all, great meeting.


Diet went well today.  Hopefully didn't burn too many cals.

4 comments:

  1. Wait, did you end the match with the kimura? That must be satisfying as hell to do that without any real extensive background in ground fighting.Sounds a lot better than the MA club at my high school. I opened the door, saw kids running headfirst into mats and laughing, closed the door, and never came back again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually get the kimura a lot.  It's my one move, like the guilltine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like some fun stuff, i can't help but wonder how many people are going to stick around in your club if you end beating them all up though

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mount Escape 1: You look like a strong dude, so a good hip buck followed by a hard bridge and roll should do the trick. Mount Escape 2: Sometimes if a guy is too big, elbow escape works well. Pick a side and push his knee away and down either with your elbow or your hand. That puts him in your halfguard. Turn to your other side, do the same thing, and get full guard. Some heavy shrimping helps this escape, along with a couple of hip bucks at the start to get him worrying.

    ReplyDelete