Monday, March 6, 2006

Training Log: Entry 199


Best MMA club meeting ever.  Finally got to do some real standup sparring. 


Rolled with the BJJ/KK chick.  She was hurt, so I decided to go real light.  She beats me on technique.  I caught myself trying to muscle out of moves and held back.  I eventually fed her the triangle choke after screwing around and being too cautious of her arm.


Standup with the new MT guy.  We both had shinguards and headgear with our 16ozers, so we could bang.  It's funny, even though I keep training boxing, I just love my leg kicks.  Guess TKD made me always wanna kick.  I lured him in, struck his right leg with outside and inside leg kicks a lot.  Dropped his guard and threw some punches at his face.  Feinted with a 1-2 and then leg kicked him.  I even managed to throw some headlevel roundhouses at him.  Felt like Duane Ludwig out there, awesome feeling.  Not enough punching though, he had no mouthguard.  Once he gets that, we should go all out.


Standup with Mr. TKD.  I finally got to show him reality.  Since I had shinguards and didn't feel mean kicking hard, I made a point to kick out his supporting leg each and every single time he did the whole chamber and wait bullcrap.  Chamber, wait, collapse.  I did this to him so many times that he started to become gun shy.  I would feint and watch him do old school low blocking crap, and thought to myself how awesome it'd be to score the KO.  When he did kick, I would just jam it with my body, move in, and make him panic with a flurry of crappy punches (need to work on hand and feet coordination).  I pulled a cool move of kicking out his supporting leg, letting him spin, and launching a head level thai kick at the back of his head.  Everyone watching thought it was cool.  Hopefully he'll learn that no contact sparring is frickin' crap.  His hands were way down.


More standup with the MT guy.  He started paying more attention to my legs, so I threw some stuff uptop to distract him.  Practiced my evasion, counter fighting, and footwork.  I felt like I was in top form today.  It was more of the same of luring and scoring the leg kick.  We connected knees real bad on my inside kick meeting his outside, and he called it quits after that.


Worked some Chi Sao with the WT guy.  Cool crap.  Fun as hell.  Can definitely see some value in it.


Absolute favorite meeting ever.


Side note: You can see just how much more of a striker I am than a grappler in terms of how in depth my analysis are between the two.

8 comments:

  1. Lol, i enjoy the detail of it though, i have a good image of what your low kicks were doing to the tkd guy. i'm surprised your not taking punishment from his kick when you do it though. Glad your having a hell of a time and that your club is growing. Also happy to hear that you got some heavier sparring in. Get a few more people who you can do that with and you'll be getting a good workout from it in no time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The reason I don't take punishments from his kicks is because of the physics and mechanics behind it.  He does the stupid version of the chambered kick wherein he cocks his leg and the fires the kick.  The only way to generate power from this is through muscular contraction, rather than through form and shifting of bodyweight.  The easiest way I do this is to simply jam the kick so that he has no room to contract it, making it a "push" instead of a "kick".  While he's trying to push me with his leg, I punch him in the face =P

    ReplyDelete
  3. kinda like Hajime no Ippo when Ippo reacted to the counterpunch by closing the distance and forcing his forehead into his opponents fist not giving him the distance needed to make it an effective counter, cept with kicks. I guess that makes sence.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah exactly, it's like facing a punch.  The only difference is, those punches could be a threat, his kicks couldn't =P

    ReplyDelete
  5. Unrelated question for you: how the hell do you manage weighted dips with a dumbbell? I tried it today (someone jacked the belt again) and I couldn't get it to hang from my feet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're supposed to put the bar in between the space that your feet form when you place them together, and then curl your legs upward like a leg curl while you do the dip.
    You might just wanna buy your own at this point =P

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wasn't curling my legs up, I was kinda letting them hang down limp while I pushed up with my arms. That's probably a "No duh" error I made, thanks.

    ReplyDelete