Sunday, August 22, 2004

This was my most recent match, of which I was able to get photographic evidence.


Me:
5'9
174lbs at weigh in
18 years old
Reach of 26" from armpit to fist
8 years of Sport TKD, 3 years of folkstyle wrestling, 5 months of boxing and Muay Thai

Him:
6'1
19 years old
179 at weigh in
Reach of 55" from armpit to end of bokken
1 year of "self taught" bokken sparring, 3 months of Iaido, 3 months of sport fencing, 1.5 years combined sport karate

My synopsis: First minute of the fight was a real wake up call. Getting hit with the bokken the first time let me know exactly what I was signed up for, and facing someone with such incredible reach reminded me of my first fight with a leggy Kajukenbo guy.

We fought 3 matches: Striking vs. Bokken, Striking and clinch vs. Bokken and kick, striking clinch and grapple vs. Bokken kick and grapple.

First match was me getting owned for a solid minute, with my only hope being to charge, make him backup, and land solid blows on the back of his head. Cheated and used the clinch out of instinct. We went for 3 minutes solid, and I walked away with a jacked up elbow and some welts on the side. He walked away with a bloody lip.

Second match was me charging in at first, managed to catch one of the kicks that was thrown at me. I tossed him to the ground, them helped him up because we didn't have grapple. He lost 1 bokken early on (he was fighting with two), and actually was able to keep me at bay by solid horizontal swings that bruised and battered my hand. He slipped and fell at one point, but otherwise, me getting owned again.

Third match: ended early. Took one solid blow to the elbow that put me out of commission. Couldn't keep my hands up.

Overall thoughts: Very little of what I did looked like Muay Thai. A lot of it was basic survival, with a few punches, a few blocks, and a clinch from the back. My only chance was to charge in the middle of both bokkens and clinch, grapple, slam, and run. Playing the distance game got me killed. Complete change from everything I've ever done before in my life. Hehe, definitely don't fight a man when you're unarmed =P


 


 


 








No comments:

Post a Comment