Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Training Log: Entnry 249


BJJ and MT tonight


Summary of BJJ:
Drills


Double leg takedowns for warm-up.  Remember to keep the back straight on the shot.


Getting head out from other guy's guard-1 hand on chin, one hand pushes elbow up.  From here, hop up on both feet, knee in but, other leg steps back, twist hips, work elbows into inner thighs while hands push down on waist.  From here, jump and put them into side control with underhook under shoulder and own shoulder into chin.


Worked a lot from side control.  Swim the arm that is under the head over to figure four the arm.  Use the head to push their arm to the floor.  From here, 3 subs to work with


Keylock-Bread and butter sub.  Love it.  Need to switch up figure 4.


Straight armlock-Great technique to use when they straighten out the arm to defend armlock or kimura.  Remember to trap their elbow in yours for leverage.


Kimura-Hand goes into mat, sprawl hips down so that pressure goes into their shoulder. 
-Remember to sprawl out hips.  Can also step over their head and place their face against hamstring.  Makes a break easy.


Defense against kimura: Remember to plant nonattacked hand's elbow point into ground, turn, and put knee between their figure 4 to break it.  Work for hand posistion.  Other tactic is to turn like before and rock them into a sweep.


Special note: Lesson was taught by Dean Lister. 


MT


Summary of class:
Drills
Conditioning


Note: Ugh, my partner was a total weenie today.  Some lanky kid that had to be like 16.  He was afraid to get hit, didn't want to throw any attacks at me during sparring, didn't keep his hands up, in general made all of the following drills pretty worthless.  I did my best though, and kept telling him what he needed to do.


1 partner teeps, the other takes.  Learning how to flex abs and breathe out on teep. 


From here, we worked our sweep blocks of teeps
Coaches note: Sweep the ankle, not the toes of the feet. 
Personal notes: Back hand better at this than front hand


Same as above, but counter with either lowkick or highkick
Note: Only drilled lowkicks for this one.  Wanted to work these more today. 


Sparring with limitations.  1 partner is boxing and teeps, the other is boxing and roundhoues.


Note: My partner literally did NOT attack for the first 2 minutes...so I basically had a moving countering punching bag while I was teeping.  I did my best to shove past his defense with my teeps, and kept clocking him when he would drop his hands for the roundhouse.  Everyone has this bad habit.  I need to invest in a heavy overhand right.  Could end a ton of fights that way.


On the second round, when we switches roles, my teep defense sucked.  Even though I knew the only thing he could throw was teeps, I kept trying to shin check him.  I rarely get to fight people that throw teeps, need to work on this.  Did a decent job of keeping my hands up, just need to work on my parry's


Overall note: I think my anger at the weeniness of my training partner finally allowed me to throw punches in combinations rather than just a bunch of jabs.  Now I just need to work my kicks into my combos


Conditioning: Nothing too tough.


 

4 comments:

  1. I was just talking to somebody today who was telling me he trains with Lister. Was that your first time under him? That'd be cool if you two trained with one another before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I train at his school, but this was the first time he was teaching the beginner class.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anger can be a good motivation. Yeah, they say some bad stuff about it in Star Wars, but i can be a mean Tennis court player if someone gets me mad. I suddenly stop holding back and am more willing to hit people in the face with the ball and i always get a boost when serving. As for the weekness of your opponent, most of the guys must be that way to you, with any luck, you can use them as guinea pigs to improve your skill .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, my main problem though is that I don't have any defense, and if they don't attack me, I don't learn anything =P

    ReplyDelete