Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Training Log: Entry 244


MT class tonight


Note: Today I made a goal to focus solely on keeping my hands up.


Drills
Sparring
Conditioning


Drills:
Start out with light boxing sparring.  Partner was a bigger stockier guy.
-Straight shots were getting the job done.  My defense was doing pretty good in regards to parrying and patting.  Still awful at head movement.
-Worked on moving at angles rather than just straight in.  Move to side and circle left hook.


Drill 1: Straight shot boxing with goal of defending partner to time the jab or cross of the attacker and hit them with a same side bodykick
-Can get the rear leg off the jab alright, but leadleg off the cross needs more work.  Too timid about blocking the powershot rather than executing the counter.


Drill 2: Same as before, except this time we're alloted a leadleg inside along with outside body kicks.
-Always a fan on the inside leg kick.  Same issue in regards to countering the powershot as before, but at least I never let it get through my defense.


Sparring with all  boxing techniques, and all manner of roundhouse kicks allowed.
-Focus on keeping my hands up payed off.  I never once got punched directly in the face.  However, I'm patting too far out, and ended up having my gloved punched into my face like a rookie.
-Clowned a lot of people with staight punches.  I don't know why most MT folks don't know how to keep their elbows in to avoid it, but I won't complain.  Boxing training was paying off.
-Need to have better control of right cross so that I can start throwing it into combinations during lighter contact sparring. 
-Need to stop throwing isolated kicks.  Work them into combinations.
-Doing good on counter kicks.  Most people don't know how to recover well after throwing a kick.  They also leave themselves open to punches because once they throw the kick, they drop their hands way down low.
-Defense was doing good tonight.
-Did something stupid and ended up getting kicked in the back. 
-Throw a combo, then move out.  Once I landed a good punch to the face, I would follow it up with 3 and be ok, but by 5 they woudl start throwing counter leg kicks.
-Fought from a "hitman stance" (lead hand down by waist, rear hand on cheek) at one point and was baiting straight shots to evade and parry.  Worked pretty well.  Wouldn't use it in a match, but a good way to work defense.


Overall Note of interest: Stance has shifted back to peek-a-boo style.  Really comfortable with it.  Affords great defense.

4 comments:

  1. Interesting.Do you ever lead with a kick? I'm getting better, but I can never recover fast enough to link it smoothly with the remaining combo. I always end up using kicks as a finisher (or just by themselves as you noted).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like I said, my combo work is pretty bad, but I like to use low roundhouses as distractions to set up for punch combos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Meh, I did TKD for 8 years so I'm very good with kicks. something to learn to do if you can for a kick combo:
    Do a right roundhouse kick into the chest,axe kick into the right shoulder, and a right flying knee into there face( because most likely they'll be halfway bending down after those last two.) and it's almost a sure way to knock em out, or slow them down a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did TKD for 8 years too.  I'm trying to forget about that =P

    ReplyDelete