Monday, July 29, 2013

Training Log: Entry 1479

Press
5x200
3x225
0x250

Notes: This was a rough cycle in general.  I am going to repeat it, but a few changes need to be made based off some observations.

1: Most immediate excuse is that I came into this workout on only a protein shake, and it was the day after my clean and press tabata workout.  This was just poor planning on my part and inexcusable at this level.

2: My upperback and shoulders were absolutely fried coming in.  I have been hammering this with a lot of volume, and though I can still get away with that, I need to eat to match it.  Again, poor planning.

3: New gym and equipment, some factors I still need to account for.

So for solutions, here are some thoughts

1: Repeat this cycle for press, but go 3/5/1.  Additionally, the 5 week is going to be more like a deload in the middle of the cycle.

2: Going to try "first set last" instead of my current approach of 15-20 reps of a "light weight".  Going to shoot for 8 reps with this approach.

3: If all else fails, I am going to push press the weight and stick with the poundage increases.  I was actually thinking of going this route in general if I decide to pursue a strongman comp at my new location.

4: If my bench ends up still succeeding, then I really don't care too much about this anyway.


Chins
205 total

Dips
150 total

Notes: After feeling so beat up, I decided to ditch the DB pressing for now and do something light.  I honestly love dips as it is, but don't feel like they do too much to get me a stronger press/bench, at least not in this style.  I may just do a cycle of them as assistance work in the future just to try to get accidentally strong.

Curls/raises/PCs

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you'll easily get it next cycle when you come into the gym fresh.

    I've been running BBB for a year now with great success but I'm just about tapped so I'm thinking of new ideas. Did you not like the high rep set at the end much? I was thinking of trying that followed by Arnold presses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been a big fan of the high rep set at the end, I think it has a lot of merit. You could also do it at the end of the workout in total, which I do with my lower body workouts. I was more thinking of ways to switch things up and get some more poundages in.

    I'm running a bastardized version of the mass gaining template Wendler put together in 5/3/1 for powerlifting, and really enjoying that. Something to consider.

    ReplyDelete