Friday, May 5, 2006

Training Log: Entry 225


End of semester evaluation.


Had to have been my best semester ever in terms of strength and conditioning.  After initial confusion of where to go, I got guidence from Faxandu and started up on the best muscle training program of my life, let alone this training log.  Squat went up about 75lbs, weighted dip went up 65lbs, my bodyfat must have dropped a few points, just overall feeling stronger, and always moving up when I hit the gym.  Bench is still stuck, but still a respectable level. 


Cardio is ok.  Not really a focus while at school, but can still work a heavybag without puking and run some cardio circuits.  This summer while I'm in training, I can fine tune it. 


Skillset: Well, better than last time at least.  The MA club gave me a chance to at least attempt to maintain my skill level through once a week rolling and sparring.  Only real problem is the fact that, like always, I'm the biggest guy there, so I don't get much resistance.  I'm also the strongest, so my grappling is a lot of muscling with a little skill.  Still, I learned a new sub from that club, and got to work on my evading and headmovement, so not a total loss.  Now the real training begins.  Handspeed has gone down, but a good month of boxing will fix that.


Nutrition: Better than last year at least.  Eliminated a lot of the fried food I was consuming, replaced with simple PBJ or healthier meats.  Consumed more water as well, which is always good.  Also began eating oatmeal everyday with breakfast, very positive change.  Hope to improve even more while at home.


Supplementation: This is where I really excelled this semester.  Finally started a basic multivitamen in my regimine, which was one of those really basic "no duhs" that I should have covered earlier.  However, the major change was consuming dextrose and malto (in the form of sweet tarts) post lifting.  This was a huge change.  Paired along with the improved routine, I've seen the greatest gains in my life and never felt better.


Projection: Now that school is out, strength training is going to take a back seat to my skill training.  I'll still be trying to hit the gym about 3 days a week to maintain and possibly even gain, but I'll prolly have to tone downt he volume to prevent overtraining.  Nutrition needs to be top to reduce the severe catabolism I had over my winter break, but I can always put the muscle back on when I get back to school.


Goals for training: 2 Muay Thai classes per week, 2 grappling classes a week, 1 boxing class a week. 

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on what you've accomplished. I feel it's appropriate to comment this even though there's a newer entry above it. You're gonna be an animal when your technique gets as reliable as your strength.

    ReplyDelete