Monday, May 8, 2006

Training Log: Entry 227


First grappling class of summer session.


It appears that the rolling I did at the MMA club was more than just maintenence.  I tapped every single person I rolled with tonight.


Class structure:
Free rolling for first half hour for warmup
Drill techniques
Conditioning


Free rolling summary
I arrived late, and only got to roll like 4-5 times.  I did an awesome job of getting and maintaining side control (I don't like mount) on most of the folks I rolled with.  From there, I went for the far arm kimura, and got it more often than not.  One person I kept cranking and nothing happened.  Needed to tuck it in more.


My bottom of the guard game was actually decent for once.  I messed up a triangle attempt but saved it by turning it into an armbar.  Armbarred the same guy twice more from similar circumstances.


I jumped guard a few times (guess I am now a dirty dirty BJJ whore) with a slick guilltine choke.  Didn't have much trouble with that.  One time I didn't have the choke, but it led to another armbar.


I got put in a ankle lock.  When I was rolling, I wanted to go for them, but then I remembered it was a BJJ school and they tend not to allow white belts to go for them.  Since this was the novice class, I didn't know if it was allowed.  I found out quick.  Didn't let it happen again.


Still roll like a wrestler.  Spun out on a guy's back, put folks in cradles, etc.  Meh, they work.


Note: Next time, pick bigger people to roll with.  Also, my cardio held up pretty fine, while other folks were dying.


Takedown training:


Bah, for a wrestler, I suck at this stuff.  From a nuetral tieup, get the underhook while the other hand holds the back of the hand, raise up his elbow while pulling down on their head, step back with the leg on the same side as the one holding the head, shuck and snap down.  From here, a nifty trick.  Follow them down, get one arm under their arm, one arm over their arm going for the choke.  Now, the key is, the hand not going for the choke goes on top of the bodylock.  The guy on the bottom instinctively goes for the top hand, peels it away, letting the hand that applies the choke slip right in and lock up.  From there, put in the hooks and perform the RNC.


Might not make any sense, but I know what I mean.


Drills:

Two men lock up in nuetral and go for any takedown.  I was still shakey with the one they taught us, so I was just going for single legs and ankle picks.  I was pretty shakey with this, but eventually got my groove.  I never got taken down, got 2 single legs, 1 firemen's carry into a single leg, and I think an anklepick.


Conditioning:

Nothing I couldn't handle.


 


Final notes: Not a bad class.  Instructor was cool.  Made me wanna learn.  People were friendly.  Low ego environment.  Might try the more advanced group sometime, but baby steps for now.  Next time, should wear cup, knee pads, and mouthguards.

No comments:

Post a Comment