Tuesday, May 9, 2006

Training Log: Entry 228


First MT class of summer training session.


Breakdown of class:
Warmup
Partner drilling
PT


Summary of class:
Warmup-some heavybag work and shadowboxing.  Little too crammed to execute technique well.  Oh well, just a warmup.


Partner drilling-Partnered up with a new guy.  Met him in the grappling class the last night.  Pretty big dude, around my size, little shorter than me.  Lotta heart, but no real clue what he was doing.  Meant my training was a little less dynamic than I wanted, but still got in a good sweat.

Drill: 1-2-3-low roundhouse-high roundhouse.  Offense partner throws solid technique.  Defense partner defends hands and high roundhouse, takes low roundhouse.

Note: Slipping and evading comes a lot more natural to me than blocking.  However, my hands drop when I slip.  Need to fix this.

Drill: Same as above, except defense partner now evades high roundhouse instead of blocks.  Little too crammed in the ring for a good high roundhouse.


Drill: Similar to above, except we through the high roundhouse at the end of the combo at random intervals to make sure people were defending well.


Drill: Light contact sparring using the above techniques with stipulation that every high roundhouse must be preceeded with a low roundhouse.


Note: Hands were dropping too much in sparring.  Need to fix that.


Kicking drills on kick shield-50 hard roundhouse kicks with each leg.  Then 50 fast roundhouse kicks.


Note: Partner couldn't keep the pad angled right.  Kinda pissed me off.


PT: 50 crunches off the side of the ring with partner putting shins on shins followed by 50 crunches with partner standing on abs.


Note: Was about to crap myself while they were standing on my abs.  Need to have better nutrition timing.


Overall: The coach doesn't speak much.  He likes to show the technique without any speech.  It works for me because I know what the hell he means, but for the new guys, they still have no clue.  Still, he offers good pointers and fixes mistakes when he sees them.  Not a bad class.


 

1 comment:

  1. Awesome, dude. Last few entries have been making me jealous. Can't wait until you write about more sparring.

    ReplyDelete