Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Training Log: Entry 161

Finally got to spar again.  Breath of fresh air.  The beast is back.  I felt like I was 18 again.

Fought 4 rounds.  2 rounds, 2 different opponents.

First guy.  Stocky, had a gut.  6 months of boxing experience.
1st round:
Saw he wasn't protecting his gut.  Fired some bodyblows to
it.  He guarded his head well at first.  Took a few measuring
jabs at it, then powershotted it.  I still have the power to knock
a man several steps back by striking his guard.  I followed him up
off balance and fired some shots.  When he woudl get his footing,
he'd launch some powershot combos.  They'd rock me a little, but
I'd clinch most times.

2nd round:
Was told by the coach that I need to keep my hands up more and work the
body.  Fired more bodyblows.  Jab up top, cross down
below.  Cross up top, jab down below.  He opened up his face,
and I launched some jabs and crosses into him.  More of the first
round, but I sent him flying a lot more.  He kept blamming his
head gear.

Second guy.  Smaller, but way more fluid.  7 years of boxing experience.
I watched him spar beforehand, and learned his pattern.  He was a
fan of headmovement, and loved to pat the jab and counter punch. 
I landed a jab square in his face at full power to put a scare in
him.  I gave him a few jabs and got some counter punches. 
Learned my lesson, and started my combos off with a right hand over a
left hand.  Caught him real good.  I basically out muscled
him.  He had the technique to put me away, but couldn't deal with
my power.

Second round:
Figured out the pattern to his head movement.  Abused it.  He
liked to duck low after two jabs, expecting the cross followup.  I
jabbed twice, uppercutted, hooked.  Threw another combo that
started with a cross.  He backed up into the corner thinking he
could counterpunch when I charged.  I threw a two punch and
avoided his hook.  I started to get winded from a bodyblow he
threw at somepoint, but kept going strong.  Hit him hard enough to
knock his headgear loose.  End of the round.

Goddamn it's great to spar again.  My cardio held up pretty
well.  Still need to work on defense.  Still need to work the
hook/uppercut more.  Still can't outfight.  Still have those
powershots that I loved.  My old strategy came back today. 
I'm hooked again.

Edit: Remember to circle left.

4 comments:

  1. WOW!!!  It sounds like you had a great day today with the sparring.  I am so happy that you have gotten the opportunity to spar again.  It must have been hard on you this semester not to do it at all (I'm not counting david as sparring).  It sounds like you are learning a lot and that you have a good place to train and work on your techniques.  It seems like things are going very well.  I am so so proud of you!!! Keep up all your hardwork, it is obviously paying off!!!  I love you so much!!! Take care.  ~aloha~

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're quite an intelligent fighter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nah, I'm just a tank. I got bad technique/form and awful defense, but I know how and when to hit hard.

    ReplyDelete
  4. least you can take a beating, thats something a lot of people just can't do. Its an advantage that will win you many fight. Technique can always be learned, just takes time. And yeah, you do have a sharp eye for seeing patterns and a quick mind for figuring out how to defeat them. Even playing stupid games like Soul Calibur 3 against you makes me have to think creatively about how to beat you. Human chess at its finest.

    ReplyDelete