Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Training Log: Entry 164

Humbling experience at the gym today.  Sparred two rounds. 
Discovered my weakness to range.  Need to learn how to
sidestep.  Need to stop being the aggressor against taller
fighters.

Little fuzzy on the details.  I was told to work the body and fire
few headshots.  My problem is, I internalized that as "fire NO
headshots", and wrecked my game.

I chased, went for the bodyblows, he belted me with jabs playing the
range game.  I'd take 3 for every 1 I'd land.  Took some
powerful blows to the head, and landed some weak shots to his
body.  Pretty much repeated this for two rounds.  At least
remembered that I can take a beating no problem.  My coach was
pretty amazed with that much at least.  Bled from my nose.  I
bleed too much.

Worked on lateral movement on the bag for 4 rounds.  Did some
PT.  Got in the ring again for some bodyboxing against a shorter
opponenet.  Found my range, lured him in, scored some shots. 
Fun exercise.  I like being taller =P

Attended a grapling class. 

Warm up
Shrimping, rolling, etc.
Worked the double leg takedown.  My wrestling was rusty, but after
a few shots found it again.  Shooting with my right leg forward
was awkward, so I did left.  I fight with left forward anyway.

From doubleleg, worked guard pass.  I don't speak grapple, so it was something like
Hands on ribs
Center knee between legs
Stand up on toes, bring knee up between legs
Shoot other leg back to "get slim"
Step over with "slim" leg, trap leg between my two legs and press down on hip with elbow
Then it's work for a mount, slide shin over hip, and end up in side mount

I'm clueless.

Another basic guard pass, baseball slide

Left.

Total injur count:
Black eye, burns on face from gloves, cracked toenail from grappling.


6 comments:

  1. Well, it sounds like today was both a wakeup call and a valuable learning experience.  Sounds like a very eventful day.  I'm sorry that sparring and grappling didn't go has you hoped for.  I hope your injuries are feeling better.  I am so proud of you!!! Keep up all your hardwork!! I'm glad you have somewhere to train.  Take care.  I love you! ~aloha~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hah, you do a better job describing your grappling classes than me. I couldn't even remember what the hell I did. Do you think your lifting session the previous day had any affect? It looks like your routine is different.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My traps were a little sore, but nothin' too major.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i have a strong suspicion that if i had a better boxing technique and was in better shape, picking shots off you from a range would be the way to beat you. Of course i know speak from a fencing background where thats a no duh kind of statement. I can imagine someone slowly wearing you down if they had a significant range advantage on you. Glad to hear you had a learning experience and that your getting to fight a variety of opponents. Your training at that gym will definitely be worthwhile for that alone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. check out some of tyson's fights. Noticed that most of his opponents were actually relatively tall. The secret, it seems, to his success, was fighting low and constantly using evasive head movements.

    ReplyDelete
  6. And the right hook - right uppercut combo. Tyson FTW.

    ReplyDelete