Friday, May 18, 2007

Training Log: Entry 411

DE lower tody

Speed squats of 195
8x3

Notes: The placement of the bench for a box needs to be way in the rack to get a good squat.

DB split squats of 70lbs per hand
12,10,8

Notes: This is so much more taxing on my grip than my legs, but that's worth building. 

Good mornings of 135
10,10,8,8

Notes: Goddamn these are taxing, I was pouring buckets of sweat.  I might've been able to power out 2 more reps per the last sets, but I don't wanna risk bad form on this.

Pull-ups
8,8,8,5

Notes: More of the drop rests on the last 2 sets.  I found out my grip hasn't been wide enough.  Make that a focus next time.

 

Sparred with my older brother in some boxing rules today.  I didn't work on offense at all, as he's too pensive and can't really take a punch, and there's a major weight difference.  My movement was really good today, lots of bobbing and weaving, not keeping my hands static, focused on circling (remember to circle away from powerhand).  A few body straights (I was taller, so no working on hooks), and not much with my right hand.  Did this for a few rounds.

Worked the heavy bag for the first time in 2 weeks.  My bag sucks, but it got the job done.  Was a lot smoother than before.  I think the time off was good.  Keep driving with the back leg.

4 comments:

  1. How wide do you grip the bar on pullups?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't quite know how to quantify that other than "wide grip"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've read that a wide grip doesn't really help to broaden the lats any more than a normal shoulder-width grip. Supposedly it's also bad for the shoulders.But if it works better for you, I suppose it works better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It helps me get more of a pull in my lats than my hands.  It might be psychological, but if it does something, I'll take it.

    ReplyDelete