Friday, May 22, 2009

Training Log: Entry 738

RE lower

Squats of 315
15,9,7

Notes: I need to change this.  The weight is getting too heavy, and the workout too taxing.  After the third set, I went inside the house (side note: Finally rebuilt my powercage, so I'm lifting at home again) and laid on the couch for half an hour, slipping in and out of consciousness.  Breathing was erratic, heart beating out of the chest, and felt like I was going to vomit.  That in and of itself is not bad, but it prevents me from doing any sort of follow-up work.

I've come up with a few possible solutions, of which I'll decide on which is going to be the most advantageous.

1: Change the movement.  Something like SSB squats or trap bar lifts.  I'd either use less weight with the SSB or not have to support the weight on my body with the trap bar, both of which would reduce the issue of being grossly fatigued after my 3 sets.  The change in movement would also help develop any sort of lagging muscles.  The con here is I'd be losing out greatly on specificity, which was one of the big factors involved in my reason for choosing RE in the first place.  I may find myself losing squats again because of a lack of form.

2: Get rid of RE, and go back to DE.  DE definitely doesn't kill my cardio, and I could improve my speed out of the hole.  I'm finding myself grinding a bit here, and maybe speed work would help my sticking point.  The time away from heavy squatting may be good for my body as well.  If I make squats a supplemental movement, I won't lose out on the specificity aspect either.  Only con I can see here is a lack of developing the supporting musculature that I get with RE, but that could be fixed with more assistance work, which I could do with the left over work capacity from DE work.

3: Reduce the amount of sets on the RE day.  I'm presently doing 3 sets, and after the 3rd set, I'm dead to the world.  I didn't even have the energy to do hise shrugs after the 3rd set today.  If I cut it down to 2 sets, or even 1 set ala 20 rep squats, I may find myself with more energy to complete the rest of my workout. I could also potentially use more weight as I wouldn't have to "save" anything in the tank for later sets.  However, that could come back to bite me, and I may find myself in the same situation I'm currently in, now just getting taxed after 2 or 1 sets instead of 3.  I may also lose something in the translation by getting less volume in with my RE work.

 

I'm going to have to think this one through pretty well.  All 3 options have some great pros and cons to them, but in either case, I really can't go on with my current COA.  If anyone has any input, through it my way.  There's no stupid ideas, I'm just spit balling here.

1 comment:

  1. I personally suggest DE, but you have your own reasons for switching to RE and I don't know that the DE virtues measure up to those.

    ReplyDelete