Monday, August 4, 2014

PROGRAMMING IDEA

Am presently deloading for my upcoming comp, but have come up with an idea for how I want to program my assistance work.

Problem: Despite going into it kicking and screaming, I really like how I am starting to gain a handle on how to push press, and I want to keep this skillset drilled for future competitions.  That said, strict pressing is what helped me build a solid foundation to push press with, and I want to be able to continue to grind out reps as necessary.


Solution: I will train pressing twice a week.  One day will be a push press with a variety of bars, and the other day will be a strict press with a variety of bars.  As of yet, I am undecided on if I will do my push pressing on my heavy press day or my heavy bench day.


Problem:  With this approach, I will be neglecting benching/horizontal pressing, and as of this moment I am not comfortable with giving up on powerlifting, especially since, after many years, I am finally making progress on bench.


Solution:  I will also bench twice a week for assistance work.  Following a similar approach to the above, armed with my new reactive slingshot (and my old metal catapult/reverse bands if needed), I will have one day where I overload the bench with a reversing mechanism and one day where the emphasis is on strict pressing.  I may even consider making the other day a pause bench day to really emphasize the point, but in general, not making use of external equipment is the intent there.


Problem:  Volume/time considerations.


Solution:  I will abandon my presently effective 5x10 approach for a 3x6-10 approach for each movement, meaning a total of 6 sets of assistance pressing each workout, similar to what I was performing before.  This will possibly result in slightly more time in the gym, but I think the end net positive will be worthwhile.  Remembering lessons's learned from Dogg Crapp, I think my bench will actually do better with so much variety, and this fits in with the Cube Method for Strongman's assistance approach as well.


Considerations: Programming the rest of the assistance work that day.  Primarily, lats, rear delts, triceps and biceps, with POSSIBLY lateral delt work as well.

-To make up for more time spent changing around implements/plates for pressing, I should pick movements that require minimal set-up for everything else.  Chins are easy, as are band pull aparts.  A pin selected machine would honestly be a boon here, may be something work looking into.

-May simply move assistance work to a grease the groove style approach to save time where possible.

-Can always save time by making my assistance work simply be a lighter version of the heavier work for the day, ala BBB.  Will save time in set up.

-Consider leaving some stations pre-set in the garage ready to go and never changing them.  Instead of setting weight PRs, keep the weight the same and go for time based or rep PRs.

No comments:

Post a Comment