Wednesday, June 3, 2020

TKD lesson 40ish minutes

Warmed up with Chon Ji.  Still working on thumbs and punching in a straight line.  Working on firing punches from the hips vs picking them up and firing them from the shoulder.  Did a drill where we just stood square on and fired with punches from the hips just to reinforce it.

Used the new grappling mats and taught my kid how to sprawl.  They definitely have my coordination, because I did not think this was going to require as much instruction as it did.  In fairness, my kid does gymnastics, so the very first thing they did was try to start a handstand when I explained that our legs and hips were going to go out and out hands could break our fall.  May be dealing with conflicting motor patterns there.  We then ended up doing variations of burpees, the worm, push ups, and the splits before finally settling on a sprawl.  Once we finally got there though, it was solid.  My kid at least has enough of a handle on it to do SOMETHING if someone were to shoot in on their legs.  From there I taught my kid about quickly disengaging, but DID throw in a bit about how, if you sprawl out and can get up, you could probably kick the dude in the face or the ribs before you beat feet out of there.  But, of course, only if you need to do defend yourself.

From there, we tried to get through Dan Gun and I completely lost my cool.  My kid has picked the weirdest hill to die: they pretty much refuse to ever do a back stance.  This is a rough hill, as they're all over their form.  If I put their feet in the right spot, they make a point to twist their legs and fall over.  If I put their shoulders in the right spot, they'll twist their shoulders and too far and fall over.  Feet are always squared rather than in a line. They've done backstances before and never had these issues, but as of recently, they've just decided they're never going to do one properly ever again.

After fixing the 5th one of the night and the kid acting like I as trying to teach a blind person orange using only sign language, I told them to bow out.  They looked a little shocked, and I felt bad about it, but considering I had already hip thrown my kid once out of frustration (it's cool: I call it surprise Judo and they think it's a blast.  OSU), I knew that neither one of us were getting anything out of the training at that point.  My kid was still excited to show mom their sprawl, so we got some good out of it, but more and more I'm excited about getting my kid a little outside instruction.

No comments:

Post a Comment