Monday, June 1, 2020

TKD lesson 45-ish minutes

Just focused on forms/hyungs today.  Warmed up with Chon Ji and then got all the way through Dan Gun.  The latter is still pretty sloppy, but we're getting a lot out of it.

Introduced the TKD high block today.  It looks like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8IsJohuDKU

That is, of course, stupidly elaborate, but you get the gist of it.

I brought up the idea of using it against an axe kick, but I'm still leaning against the idea of "block" and more about transition stances, parries, grabs, etc.  Realistically, about the only blocking I'm gonna train is shelling up or checking kicks, but otherwise, these TKD/hard style blocks can have some use if the understanding is changed.  So even in discussions about the axe kick, I trained my kid to understand that, with that high block, we're stepping forward with it and using it to jam up our opponent.  On an axe kick, you're stepping into the kick and getting under the leg before it can come down, so now you can throw the competitor down, sweep out the other leg, and, if nothing else, you've go them off balance.  Otherwise, we're teaching this like a cram: effective on a taller opponent which, given I'm teaching a kid, is going to be just about everyone.  Get under their chin and shove their head up, then follow up with a liver punch.  Gets them off balanced.  On a more equal sized opponent, you can use it like a crossface in wrestling, just with the outside forearm instead of the inside.

This might all be reaching about the utility of a high block, but I still think it's about a billion times better than a real high block, haha.  And my kid keeps showing me that they "get" infighting. They understand how they're most likely going to need to stuff and jam their opponent to take away their power.  However, we were training in front of the Mrs this time and my kiddo hits me with a "Yeah, if I'm ever in a fight, I'm going to have to get in close so that they can't use their reach on me", I see the big eyes from the wife and go with "Right, but, of course, we're always going to try to avoid fights, and you wanna make space WHEN you can with a push kick or a shove, but if you HAVE to fight, you're gonna have to take it inside".

I gotta admit: I was proud.

I actually got my wrestling mats in today.  It's a little smaller than I woulda liked, but will answer the mail for now.  WAS going to teach the kiddo how to sprawl out of a takedown attempt, because even though my grappling is poor I still have some takedown defense in me that I used to avoid grappling as much as possible, so maybe I can pass that on.  Besides, a good sprawl is never a bad thing to have.

No comments:

Post a Comment