Monday, June 29, 2020

TKD lesson (45ish minutes)

Great lesson today.  All the balance work paid off, and we worked double roundkicks and then transitioned to front kick-rechamber-roundkick. Was great to see my kid doing something that was very traditional TKD work.  Worked on Dan Gun from there, let me kid run it on their own, and they pretty much have the whole thing memorized.  Still needs a good amount of polish, but having the pattern is big.  From there, worked a VERY basic footowork drill with a roundhouse/kick check worked in.  My footwork is terrible, but seeing my kid try to figure it out showed me how much I had learned in the process.  Really emphasized keeping a solid stance, not crossing feet, and looking at the opponent.  That final part is a big work.  My kid's attention span is nil, and getting them to look at ANYTHING for a prolonged period of time is an ask.  Any time I caught my kid's eyes off me, I'd send an attack from the angle they weren't looking at.  They had a blast: it was a bit of play and learn, which is what I've wanted.

We did exactly 2 roundhouse kicks in the basement before my kid swore they saw a spider in some corner and decided they'd rather not do roundhouses vs overcome their fear of spiders existing.  It was a good enough less that I didn't want to end it on a sour note, so we called it there and I gave them their stripe on their orange belt.  They definitely have earned it, and the timing is better than it was with white belt, because I feel like we still have a good amount of ground to cover before the next stripe.

No comments:

Post a Comment