Tuesday, March 19, 2024

 Training Log: Entry 3206

AM WORKOUT (0420 wake up via alarm)


75 KB swings w/24kg bell

2.1 mile walk w/80lb vest

85x180lb reverse hypers

150 prisoner squats and 150 push ups in 10 minutes (15 rounds of 10)

50 pull aparts


BREAKFAST


Short walk w/dog


Notes:


* Some odds and ends here.  Getting in the walk of DoggCrapp, and then some of the extra stuff that I want to keep because it keeps me feeling well.  A “tonic” workout, ala Dan John, and given the 75 swings before the walk, it’s very Dan John as well.  My pace was slightly faster than usual: trying to be less leisurely.  When I walk with the Mrs, she pushes us to go quicker, because my normal walking pace is VERY leisurely.  I’ll blame it on the two torn meniscus..es?  


* Really focused on execution on the reverse hypers and they felt AMAZING on my lower back.  Between all the sitting with travel and the squats yesterday, I’m sure it’s compressed a bit, so this was a just what I needed.  I know Jamie Lewis likes to make fun of the reverse hyper and GHR, but if it’s stupid and it works, it’s not stupid.


* My original intent this morning was to push the fasting for longer, but after this walk and exercise I was HUNGRY, and I’m not going to be a martyr.  I’ll only fast insomuch as it’s a result of not being hungry.  “Comfortable fasting”, as I heard Chris Bell describe it.  I DO want to start including days of longer fasting on these walking days as time rolls on, simply as an experiment.


* In THAT regard, fleshing out things a little further, I heard someone describing a “primal blueprint” as far as training went, and I really dug it in the aspect of “let training tell a story”.  The idea was that humans, as a species, are primarily built for either short, infrequent bursts of high intensity or long frequent bouts of low intensity.  Persistence hunt the antelope until it collapses from exhaustion, feast on it until you’re full, walk back to the hut.  You might have to lift something heavy along the way to clear a path, and you may need to occasionally sprint from danger, but those situations are the exceptions.  I’ve definitely been guilty of doing it in reverse: sprinting and high intensity ALL the time and infrequently engaging in low intensity activity.  It’s why I’m appreciating cutting the lifting down to 3x a week and upping the intensity while I do it, and then engaging in more of this low intensity/long duration activity.  It means I’m gonna want about 1 day a week for some sort of “sprint”, which will probably be a WOD of some variety, but otherwise, lots of walking.  I’m gonna wear the vest when it’s not sunny, but once the sun comes up, I’m thinking about getting into some “heavy hands”.  Might even get a heart rate monitor to actually try to stay in the proper zone.


* Those push ups and squats were a lot harder than they should have been, once I did the walk and reverse hypers first.  


* Tang Soo Do sparring is on the radar for later tonight. 


* I keep remembering more things I wanted to document: shout out to piedmontese.  I entered a contest to gift a box of meat to someone, and submitted my dad for it.  Apparently I won, because they shipped it to him, and through sheer kismet, it got there on his birthday, so it was the best present ever.  Along with that, I had some sheer San Diegan outrage on my cruise, as we were in Cozumel and they were serving us authentic Mexican tortillas with some traditional food/paste inside (combination of onion, cilantro, cumin and some other stuff) and this woman was leading an inquisition on our guide demanding to know if there was any wheat in the tortillas.  The guide was cool about it and assured her it was only corn, and she kept going on “Are you sure?  Because if there is ANY wheat mixed in, my kid will have an allergic reaction”.  The guide was finally like “We don’t DO wheat in tortillas: that’s purely a northern Mexican thing”.  I kept thinking “Lady, they’re not going to debase themselves with your European junk”, haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment