Monday, April 10, 2006

Training Log: Entry 211


Another MMA club meeting.  Not the best, but still pretty fun.


New member.  Ex-wrestler.  Wirey guy.  About 5'10-6, and only 155lbs.  Long ass limbs.  Like a damn praying mantis.


BJJ/KK chick showed us a fun variation of the kimura for when the other guy is trying to block it.  Involves switching the hand gripping, snaking the released hand under the guys head and gripping at his armpit, and then arching the back.  Puts pressure on the elbow.  Hopefully I'll remember it.


Went over a type of crossface to help put a guy in the RNC (had to teach the Wrestler how to RNC)


WC dude worked some WC blocks from a straight and downward punch. 


Showed them all a fun escape from the Full nelson.  Involves stepping behind the other guy and then picking up both of his legs.  Saw it on "Bas Rutten's guide for lethal street/bar fighting" on youtube.  I was amazed I actually remembered how to do it.


Freetime after that.  My girlfriend and the BJJ/KK chick grappled, the WC dude worked with the wrestler, and I hit the heavy bag.


For those of you who have been paying attention, I decided at the start of the year or so to work all of my techniques from the boxing stance.  I switched to the Muay Thai stance, as I've decided I'm going to train Muay Thai along with boxing over the summer.  All this time in the boxing stance payed off.  I actually threw even more powerful punches from the Thai stance than in the boxing stance.  I attribute it to learning how to utilize my weight from all my training with the boxing stance (step with left foot for jab, sink forward with cross, sink back with hook) along with the fact that the Thai stance has me more relaxed than the boxing stance.  Can't wait to train this more.  The guys in the club were really amazed with my power, as was I.


After seeing the display, the wrestler wanted to learn how to box.  Showed him the stance and jab-cross.  He picks up the technique well, and is learning to fight from southpaw.


Did some standup with the KK/BJJ chick.  Worked my outfighting/counterfighting, along with spotting telegraphs.  Couldn't throw too much power.  I have like 70lbs on her.


Grappled with the BJJ/KK chick.  Lots of reversals and fighting off her sub attempts.  Eventually, she ended up in my guard, and I slapped on the crappiest armbar in the world.  If she was in my weight class, she'd destroy me.


Highlight of the evening.  "I had a buddy on the wrestling team.  He was a huge dude, just a little smaller than you Jared" 

5 comments:

  1. Hah, I have almost all of Bas Rutten's instructionals, with the exception of the latest "big books of combat" series. It's good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lot of Bas's stuff looks like it only works if you're the bigger guy =P

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I can do zercher rack lockouts with 600 pounds, I'll be able to lift some 200 pound douche putting me in a headlock. That's my take on it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can take out a stronger man out with superior technique, no reason why superior strength and build can't pound down people with better technique as well. If you've got the size, might as well use it and the techniques that go with it, thats certainly what i do when i fence

    ReplyDelete