Monday, April 17, 2006

Training Log: Entry 215


A less than spectacular MMA club meeting.  Only 3 people including myself.  WC guy and BJJ/KK chick.


WC guy wanted to see how I struck.  I showed him the Muay Thai roundhouse.  KK chick showed us the KK one.  Minor differences with apparently different strategies to them (The MT kick is thrown at the end of a punch combo typically, or usually with some distractor.  The KK kick can be thrown at the start, but with another kick to accompany it).  He already knows how to check kicks, so didn't bother to teach defense.


He wanted to learn some boxing, but it wasn't going to work with his stance, so I taught him some boxing defense instead.  How to defend hooks.  Went over using the jab defensively.  Bicep, shoulder, chin, cut, along with bob and slip.  They thought it was cool.


Grappled WC dude a few times.  This kid is way strong with a great grip.  He always fored himself into my guard using some wrist and elbow lock stuff.  I tried for the triangle a lot but he managed to fight off my advancing leg. I went for the armbar a lot, and he saw it coming.  Eventually managed to power the armbar from guard by slinking my right leg over and in front of his face and pulling with all my might.  My technique sucks.  Round 2 was a repeat of round 1.


I was happy with my rolling with the BJJ/KK chick however.  It was similar to usually, with her pulling guard, me passing it with my knee on her thigh, moving into side control, going for the kimura, but this time I swtiched it up and used a sub she had taught me at the last meeting.  While they fight off the kimura by raising their hand up, you switch the controlling hand, sneak your now free hand behing their head and grab their armpit, and then put the force on their elbow.  Got a fast tap out of that.  Very cool.  Learned a new sub.

2 comments:

  1. ...and it's the Emevas MA club show, starring WC guy and BJJ/KK chick! Heh heh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Came by your xanga site.  Good commentary on your grappling.  Can you describe in a little more detail the sub. you were talking about with the BJJ girl? I can't visualize.

    ReplyDelete