Monday, April 3, 2006

Training Log: Entry 208


Best MMA club meeting ever.


The MT dude wanted to box me.  He said we could spar for an hour if we wanted.  My eyes lit up like it was Chirstmas.


I decided to spend this time working on my much neglected defense.  At first, this was tricky, as MT guy was reluctant to actually strike me.  Had to fix this.  Eventually, he started throwing hard shots and combinations. 


Did multiple rounds.  They were pretty much the same.  I spent most of my time slipping, evading, and trying not to get hit, while striking/counter punching.  I finally got the hang of parrying, which was a major first in me.  Basically, I finally got to use some of that defense I spent so many months in the boxing gym training for.  The MT guy noticed too.  I was really slippery.  He didn't lay a glove on me for some rounds.  In the same tokken though, he also landed some of the hardest shots I've received in this club meeting, which is a definite plus.  Even got a minor lip split


I however was going way too light.  He wanted to use th 7oz gloves, and I'm used to 16oz.  Held back too much.  Doesn't help I had a weight advantage.  One of these days I'll throw some leather with these kids, but no point in killing them.


He has an annoying habit still.  Everytime I hit him, he throws down his gloves and yells "Damnit!".  Makes it impossible to f-in' follow up my shots.


Got to roll with MT kid too.  Subbed him with an armbar from in my guard (never have done that before), kimura from sidecontrol out of crossface cradle, and guillitine from halfguard.  He wants to drill more often with me.  Might have found a decent training partner.


Highlight was watching BJJ/KK chick kick the crap out of TKD dude in both grappling and striking.

12 comments:

  1. As usual, good story. "DAMMIT!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kind of funny how you refer to them merely as "BJJ Chick" and "TKD Guy", etc. It seems like every entry on this describes the latest meeting as the best ever. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, that was my comment last time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. lol, whats said above is true, but its just a sign that its a growing club. Glad you found somebody who might stand a chance of keeping up with you. Keep up the good work, glad that guy got beat up by those girls finally, lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha...I like how I just checked last meeting now, and he said it wasn't too spectacular. Dammit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, we have some good ones, some bad ones, and some great ones.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "He has an annoying habit still.  Everytime I hit him, he throws down his gloves and yells "Damnit!".  Makes it impossible to f-in' follow up my shots."
    That is why sparring emo kids is bad.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I somehow don't think emo kids would spar at all.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good point.
    Wait, was it the MT guy or the TKD guy that kept saying damnit? Though it would be funny to see, regardless.
    Is the BJJ/KK chick hot?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Although even if she was, she wouldn't be interested in you...or about any man =P.  She's pretty asexual.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It was the MT picture.
    I don't evaluate the BJJ/KK chick's appearance.  She's a friend and a sparring buddy, not eye candy. 

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good to know its not personal at least :)

    ReplyDelete