Thursday, September 6, 2007

Training Log: Entry 457

Sparred today.

Defense still held out well, despite lack of work.  My head/body movement was lacking, but that was mostly ring rust.  I typically have the other problem.  Offense was horrible.  Jab was pawing, not snapping, and wasn't firing much combos.  Did get a chance to work some infighting, which worked amazingly well for the first time against a live opponent.  He didn't get anything in, while I was firing shovel hooks at will to his floating ribs and following them up top with rear hand head hooks, a combo I work on the bag a ton.  Shoulder popped a little in the clinch, watch for that.

Fought a total of 4 rounds, 2 series of 2x3 minutes, first 2 against the same opponent, last 2 against two different opponents.  First 3 rounds were a taller skinnier kid, last round against a super heavyweight.

I need to drill my 60% power on the bag.  When I need to reduce power, I get sloppy as hell.  I know how to throw a hard, sharp, snappy jab, but when I go 60% against an opponent, it's all pawing and sticking.  Part of that is lack of killer instinct as well, but I didn't apologize or ask if the other guy was ok, which is a step in the right direction for me. 

Match against super heavy was absurd.  Never felt such insane power.  I was thrown around the ring like a rag doll.  Gotta get that rooting in.  Had no luck attacking straight on, was forced to use my angles.  Lead hook was working well, as was jab to the belly.  Got put in the corner a lot, need to work ring awareness.  Didn't take any bad shots in the corner though, shelled up and took nothing to the face or body. Only took ne good shot to the face for all 4 rounds, so that's a positive.

Coach recognized my defensive style as "Peek A Boo".  Makes all the time training it worthwhile to have a real coach recognize it.

Work the agression, throw combos, let those hands go, and stop traintracking.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment