Sunday, September 30, 2007

Training Log: Entry 468

Squats of 345
5,3,3,3,2

Notes: Prolly had enough gas in me for one more rep on that last set, but didn't wanna risk it.  Form was great, and no longer hit that sticking point like I did last time.  Weight felt much better than before.  Wife said I was going lower than parallel on a couple of reps.

Bench of 285
5,3,3,3,2

Notes: Prolly coulda hit a final rep on that last set.  Moved the weight up a little earlier than anticipated, but it felt right in my hands.  I seem to do better with heavier weight on the bench than with lighter.

Pull ups w/30lbs

Notes: Said screw it to lat pulldowns and stuck with pull-ups.  Just gonna keep form strict and weight jumps light.

 

Did some neck work in between sets just to kill time.  Need to work this more seriously.

7 comments:

  1. So how do you determine the weight/sets/reps on your lifts?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great squat numbers, especially considering the form you've seem to improved.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm following Pavel's 3-5 principle at the moment, so I'm doing 3-5 exercises with a weight I can perform for 3-5 reps, performing 3-5 sets of it, resting 3-5 minutes between sets, and resting 3-5 days between work outs.  I'm cycling between two different workouts, and stopping before failure.

    It comes from his book "Beyond Bodybuilding".  I can send you a copy if you want, I just need your e-mail.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok sure, Ill send you a message on xanga.What other training programs have you tried in the past (just out of curiosity - I have never heard of Pavel's way so maybe you know a few others i have not been introduced to)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just 20 rep squats, Westside Barbell Powerlifting and the Westside Barbell for Skinny Bastards templates.  That and a whole bunch of stupid crap from Muscle and Mythness and high school junk.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok, my thing with Pavel's stuff... he doesn't seem to explain why his program templates (3x5 for example) are designed for SWAT teams, etc. Any clue on this?

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's most likely because of the relatively low volume that it allows you to progress in strength gains while still performing the necessary hard living of those professions.  I know I've kept up strength gains following the 3-5 while Active Duty with the military, along with training for boxing/grappling/MMA.  When I was following something like 20 rep squats, and even WSBB to a lesser extent, I had to shift things a little.

    ReplyDelete