Thursday, March 11, 2010

Training Log: Entry 833

First time boxing in about 2-3 years tonight.  There's a guy in my squadron that was Captain of his school's boxing team, who is a little shorter and lighter than me that wants to train.  We sparred for the first time tonight, which was the first time either of us has laced up in a long time.

Like some folks that trained ammy rules, he was a head hunter, and I abused this by going for a lot of body shots.  Unfortunately, I couldn't hit his head at all, except with a couple of jabs and some lazy hooks.  I was actually way more slippery in my defense than I had ever been before, which seems to go with my theory that the less I train the better I get.  I was able to bob, weave, and slip a lot of his punches, but I didn't do anything from there.  I need to work on moving forward and throwing when I evade, rather than just standing there and making him miss.

I boxed mainly peek a boo, because it's the only thing I knew, but ended up using some philly shell when I gassed and didn't want to hold my hands up.  My right still sucks because after 5 dislocations I'm still gunshy.  He was able to train my footwork a bit, and I learned how to cut off the ring by moving laterally.


We went for about 7-10 3 minute rounds, with long breaks in between because neither of us had much gas.  Our last round was the best, as we both let go and were able to land some decent shots.

No comments:

Post a Comment