Monday, July 13, 2020


TKD lesson (40ish minutes)

It was quick but good. Started with balance and things were rocking. Worked on double round kicks and front to round kick combos. Looked fantastic. Transitioned to training Dan Gun and my kid has it memorized well enough. Stance transitions are a lot smoother than before. They can still get twisted around on the twin outer forearm blocks and knifehand strikes matching the stance to the move, but they were able to self correct by feel because they could tell it wasn’t quite right.

Had to wrap things up quickly after that because we had company coming. Let me kid pick the finisher and they went with roundhouses again. Really trying to drill pivoting on the lead food. It came along a little, but now they want to wind up their body a bunch before the kick to do it. Tried teaching them how to step out to achieve that. We also drilled some roundkick to roundhouse kick combos.

Decided that, for the next stripe, my kid needs to do Dan Gun to the point that it looks satisfactory and without aid. For yellow belt, my kid needs to do all the things at orange belt while keeping their fists closed and tight the entire time. They’re still doing thumbs all over the place and relaxed fists and I’m correcting as I go, but I’m gonna sit down with them after they have 2 stripes and tell them I’m not comfortable giving them a yellow belt if I think they can’t keep a fist. They’ll eventually know enough to be dangerous to themselves if they try to apply it like that. I’m hoping that will incentivize them.

No comments:

Post a Comment