Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Training Log: Entry 428

Hit a major milestone on my Captains of Crush gripper work today.  Working with Captains of Crush #2.

Reps with right hand
9,8,7,7,7

Reps with left hand
8,7,6,4,3

Forced reps to match right hand with left hand.

This is insane progress.  A few weeks ago, I couldn't complete a 5x5 on right hand, and couldn't even knock out 3 reps on the first set for left hand.  It's significant to note my different approach to training.

I was following my method of building up to 5 sets of 5 with forced reps where applicable and a deload every 3rd week of 70% volume.  This was my max effort work, that I would train once a week on Mondays.  I'd follow this up with repitition effort work with the #1, doing 3 sets of maximal reps and trying for a greater number of total reps every week.  On my deload week, I replaced the RE work with DE work using the trainer and 3 sets of 3 speed reps.  This strategy seems to have created great results.  I'm going to cycle like this 1 or 2 more times, and then try out the 3 again.

5 comments:

  1. I googled Captains of Crush Gripper and all I got was some crap about those spring loaded grippers, is that what you're working with?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some crap?  Dude, the Captains of Crush spring loaded grippers are one of the premier measures of grip strength on earth =P
    Yeah, I'm working on those for crushing grip strength.  They incredibly tough to close at certain levels.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I've never heard anything too great about grippers is all.  I've been squeezing on a tennis ball and junk.  That seems to have been working but I also need deadly kung fu grip.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you've never heard anything great about Captains of Crush, you need to sign up with Ironmind.com.  If you want a great grip, this and some pinch work will give you what you need.

    ReplyDelete