Thursday, June 2, 2011

Training Log: Entry 1000

SSB squats 395
3x5

GHR w/miniband
1x31

Miniband pull aparts
4x20

Pin press off chest 275
3x5

Swiss bar bench 185
1x28

Notes: I know my goal is 30, but 1 rep a week is just getting stupid.  Increasing next week

(3) Mat pulls 495
1x5

Notes: These were tough, had to really pyche myself up for them.  Once my work and sleep schedule adjusts, I should be good.

Doubled miniband curls
30

 

Journal Note: My 1000th training log.  It's amazing to think about what happened since I started.  I was a sophomore in college, had no idea what I was doing, following workouts from Muscle & Fitness and bodybuilding.com and trying to balance MMA and lifting, which resulted in being bad at both and making no progress.  Did an amatuer MMA tournament, managed 1 win by strength and wrestling, and 2 losses by total lack of grappling training.  Met my wife to be that year, and finally started serious lower body training as a junior after getting back from field training.  Got married after I graduated, kept up the martial arts into my first year of active duty service, when I finally decided to commit to the one thing I seemed to have some talent in versus trying to force myself to become a better fighter.  Hung up the gloves, and started the home gym.  It all started out with an adjustable olympic bench, a barbell, and 275lbs of plates.  Was unsuccessfully attempting Westside, and only had enough weight for ME good mornings.  Broke my first 500lb deadlift and 400lb squat that year.  Moved up north, got a horrible lower back injury that made me think I was going to have to hang it all up.  Finally got a training belt, and rehabbed my back over that year to get to 405x5+chains on squats.  Bought more gym equipment, switched between Pavel's and westside a lot.  Came up with my 3 forward, 2 back approach, set some huge records, and finally had my first powerlifting meet this year.  Been a good time, and can't wait to see what happens in the future.  Thanks for sticking with me.

2 comments:

  1. Well, wow. I remember when I was slightly ahead of you on entries and then you just shot way in front of me. Reading this made me feel super nostalgic. Man tears. Occasionally I'll look back 5 or 6 years ago and see comments from me. God I've said some stupid shit, lol. It's been incredibly inspiring seeing you evolve and I would have sucked even more than I ended up doing without your early advice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've been good influences on each other, and it's been a good journey.  Always curious to see what we'll learn in the future.

    ReplyDelete