Wednesday, November 20, 2019

Training Log: Entry 2556

Did a 2 a day yesterday, since I was still not 100% and didn't have the energy to get all the way through a training session.

SESSION 1

SUPERSETS (Press-pulldown)

Axle strict press
5xAxle
5x66
5x171
3x196
7x216
14xUnloaded power keg

Lat pulldown 115
6x14

SESSION 2

GIANTSETS (press-dip-raise-pulldown: Sets 1 and 4: axle, sets 2 and 5: trap bar, sets 3 and 6: keg)

Axle strict press 171
2x10

Trap bar press 110
2x10

Keg clean and press away
10xUnloaded power keg
10xPower keg loaded with all it's spacers

Dips
6xFailure

DB lateral raises 25
6x13

Band pull aparts
6x12

Poundstone Curls
103xAxle

Notes: 3:45 between heavy presses.  2:00 between giant sets.  Longer rests between warm-up sets on session one, as I was still hurting pretty good.  My strength is pretty much all the way back, but endurance isn't there.  I was only 1 rep away from my all time PR on the topset, and considering I was having what could only be described as "vision quests" during my sets, I'll take that as a win.

I'm orienting this day towards success on my keg press in comp while still keeping the things that drive my axle press up.  So I'm tabling the behind the neck press for now, and may even give the log press a rest (the latter more due to space constraints) while focusing on the axle and trap bar press.  The axle gets me strong with a weight in front of my face, and the trap bar gets me strong pressing an uneven load with neutral grip, since the handles are so long on the trap bar that, if you don't grab it EXACTLY right, it'll tip.  I really can't speak highly enough about the trap bar press.  It feels like something I'd do if I had no goals to compete anymore, since it's neutral like a swiss bar but keeps the weight centered over your body and has a CRAZY ROM on it.  I genuinely thought it was just a gimmick the first time I saw it, but I see a lot of potential in it.

I'm phasing out my normal second set last to get in more work with the keg, so I'll be working up to a stopset with the axle and a backoff set with the keg.  I went unloaded today, which is supposed to be about 150lbs, and it felt heavy on the first session, but with a little more food and rest in my system it was much more manageable in the second, so I threw in all the spacers.  Next round, I'll load it up right.

No comments:

Post a Comment