Saturday, January 21, 2006

Training Log: Entry 178


Screw this ECO crap.  Too much bodybuilding.  I'm going back to movement focused lifting three days a week instead of bodypart focused lifting 4 times a week.  Back to bench, squat, and deadlift.  I'm thinking 5X5 on primary core lifts, 4-6 reps for 3 sets on strengthening secondary muscles, and a 3X12-15 per bodypart just for hypertrophy just to aid in the mass building department.  I'm gonna shoot for an hour per lifting session.  Time between sets on strength building will be 2-3 minutes.  Time for hypertrophy 1-2 minutes.


Rough outline will be:


Bench Day:
Flat Bench: 5X5
Incline Bench: 3X4-6
Cable flies: 3X12-15
Military press: 3X4-6
Front lateral raise: 3X12-15
Weighed dips: 3X4-6
Pulldown: 3X12-15



Deadlift Day:
Deadlift 5X5
Weighted Pull-ups: 3X4-6
Reverse Smith Machine shrugs: 3X12-15
Dumbbell rows: 3X4-6
Bent over rows: 3X4-6
Close grip weighted chin-ups: 3X4-6
Hammer curls: 3X12-15
 


Squat Day:
Squat: 5X5
Lunges: 3X4-6
Leg curl: 3X4-6
Leg Press: 3X4-6
Leg extensions: 3X12-15 superset with Leg Curl: 3X12-15
Seated calf raises: 3X4-6
Seated calf raises: 3X12-15

Just to clarify my leg day: Why leg curl twice?  As much as I would like to throw in some stiff legged deadlifts for hammies, deadlifts aren't allowed in my weight room, so I'm already risking my weight room privalges on DL day.

I'm thinking the lack of focus on dumbbell movements on my bench day will help my mega platued bench.  My theory is that exclusive focus on barbell movements will aid in that.  If nothing else, I haven't touched barbells in a while.


I'm gonna like this.

4 comments:

  1. That's exactly what I thought when I first did this. I figured the low volume but frequent bodypart training would be a good change for a few weeks. Good luck on your new routine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think THIS routine is more of a bodybuilding routine. I don't know how you're going to do any of those in an hour; it takes me an hour to do 4 intense exercises, and that's in a home gym.Also, some things are redundant. Why two different types of rows, and both pulldowns and pull-ups? Check out the Waterbury method:http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=534922Just to clarify, I don't believe in cookie cutter routines at all. Everyone has certain weaknesses they need to work on so instead they should be formulating their own programs, not finding one on the internet. However, the routines on T-nation are very flexible and can be used for the sake of paramaters. You can choose what exercises/areas you need to work on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't write pull-ups and pull downs.
    This is just a rough outline.  I'm gonna patch the holes as I play.  Like I said, it's movement oriented rather than bodypart oriented, thus explaining the odd nature.  I gave yours a look over though, and I might give it a go.  I just don't like the lack of deadlifts in most routines.  Thanks for the tip though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Movement oriented?
    I tried deadlifts last night, and I felt like I was doing something wrong. Despite looking on the net to find how to do them. Well, most of the row exercises felt that way too.
    I hear supersets are pretty good too. Saves time.

    ReplyDelete