Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Training Log: Entry 180


First real meeting of my MMA club tonight.  Grand total of two members showed up, plus myself.  Small, but better than nothing.


Member A: Experience in an art similar to Wing Chun.
Member B: Experience in Kyokushin and BJJ.


Went over the striking a little (I'm the unofficial striking coach at the moment) and helped them find some flaws in their game and things to work on while we drilled the focus pads.


Sparred member A:
Weird crap.  Lots of trapping and hitting with backfists.  He did a good job of pulling away my hands with a downward flurry in order to hit me with a backfist.  I dunno how different things would have been if we were going harder (He was a lightweight, and with my PFT coming up, I didn't want to go too hard and risk potential injury).  I fired a few combos towards his body.  Nothing major.  Just got to get exposed to his stuff.


Sparred member B:
She stuck to boxing, and I used the opportunity to work on my slipping, ducking, bobbing and weaving.  She had fast strikes, but way too many telegraphs and predictable patterns.  I avoided almost everything she shot at me, and most I took was some shots to the shoulder.  Again, went light.   She was a lighterweight, and also has the PFT coming up.  Was still fun to drill my dodging so actively.


Rolled with member B:
Got choked out with RNC in a matter of 30 seconds.  Embarassing.


Rolled with member B:
Gained my focus, stayed alert, pretty much just outmuscled her.  She has good technique, but the weight and strength advantage was ridicolous.  Tried for a few achilles locks and heel hooks while breaking out of her guard, but eventually ended up with a kimura from side mount for the win.  Did an alright job of defending her armbar and triangle choke attempts.  Still, she easy is a better technician than me.

4 comments:

  1. "Sparred member A:Weird crap.  Lots of trapping and hitting with backfists.  He did a good job of pulling away my hands with a downward flurry in order to hit me with a backfist.  I dunno how different things would have been if we were going harder (He was a lightweight, and with my PFT coming up, I didn't want to go too hard and risk potential injury).  I fired a few combos towards his body.  Nothing major.  Just got to get exposed to his stuff."
    Ok. the trapping stuff sounds good but... why the hell is a WC guy doing backfists? Seems strange.
    And yeah, a technical BJJer is always dangerous. I've seen a wrestler pin a football player before. Pretty fun. But that guy was very good and the football player did put up an awesome fight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too bad you didn't get better turn out but at least you got some people. Honestly, i think you need to figure out someway of advertising the club without getting people who aren't their to take it seriously or have no previous experience. I guess though that everything starts out small and hopefully your new members will help bring in new blood.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chris:
    It wasn't the TKD type backfist that travels in a horizontal motion, but a vertical backfist that would rise over the top of the hands and crash downward at about the bridge of those nose.  He technically wasn't a WC guy, but I don't remember the full name of his art, and he said it was something like WC.  Still, it was cool shit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hmm. Sounds interesting. Although it sounds like he's just bastardizing the punches to me. A vertical backfist could be countered by just punching back, I think.
    Although I could be wrong...

    ReplyDelete