Thursday, August 3, 2006

Training Log: Entry 260


MT tonight


Warmup
Drills
Conditioning


Drill 1: Attacker jabs head or body, defender defends and fires head hooks.

Note: I was in Valhalla tonight.  I had a training partner who not only tried to connect, but connected hard.  I took a few hard shots before I was on my game.  My nose and face are still a little swollen. 


Don't drop jab hand after firing.  Comes back in a straight line just like it shoots out


Drill 2: Same as above, but defender fires body hooks as well.


Notes: My movement is doing a lot better.  Instead of forward or backward, I spent the whole round using circular movement.  Circle in for the hook.  Furthermore, utilized circling to defeat the power of the hook when I was defending (circle away and have them chase you).  Slipping was there, but not that great.  Need to work on slipping and COUNTERING, not just slipping.


Drill 3: Same as above, but attacker uses jab and rear leg kick, defender right straight and lead hook.  Much like sparring with stipulations.


Notes: Ate too many kicks.  Less focus on the hands, more on the kicks.  My partner was shorter than me, and I'm not used to outfighting.  Typically, I fight out of my opponents kick range by closing the gap and staying in the pocket.


Snap those hands back after the flurry.


Drill 4: Sparring with all boxing and ony leg kicks.


Notes: Outfighting still a little wonky.  Basically pawed away with the jab.  Punched right through his defense tons of times.  Noticed that everytime I leg kicked he countered with a lead hook, so I started leg kicking and immediately firing the jab.  Popped him tons of times.  He eventually caught on, but still couldn't do much.


Need to work on my leg checks.  Legs are going in instead of out.


Second round, got to infight again.  Guy wasn't really doing much, so I kept popping him with leg kicks.  Fired some decent bodyshots (guy was too tall to try to reach up).  Lost a contact lense at one point and put it back in.  Killed some of my time.  Did an ok job of pushing the action, but didn't get to do too much.


Conditioning wasn't anything major.

7 comments:

  1. Hello. I've been readin' your site for a while, and I must say your Tenacity's impressive.When you wrestled, how long was it, by the way. Like out of Highschool and into College?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nah, just in highschool.  My college doesn't even have a wrestling club.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha.I thought you were some like, mythic level collegic wrestler, or something.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nah, I was crappy wrestler in high school.  I only got by on conditioning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What're your stats like, height weight and all that jazz?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Presently 5'9, 185ish lbs.  I've cut a lot of weight since the start of this summer, and don't want to try to bulk while I'm training.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah, I see. Very nice, very nice.I am a measly 120 and 5' 3". I'm trying to maintain weight so I can wrestle 119, but still make gains strength-wise.

    ReplyDelete