Thursday, August 17, 2006

Training Log: Entry 267


MT tonight


Goddamn did tonight suck.


Drill 1: Boxing sparring.


Note: Had a partner that couldn't break wind with his punches, furthermore he thought we were fighting in slow motion.  None of his punches came close to my face, yet I still chased after them to parry.  STOP DOING THIS. 


Drill 2: Attacker jabs, defender throws leg kick or armkick counter.


Note: Jab is sloppy.  Straight in, straight back.


Drill 3: Attack jabs, defender throws leg kick.


Note: Partner sucked again.  Kept throwing kicks to my knee and groin, running away from jabs, closing his eyes. 


Drill 4: Sparring, one guy boxes, one guy boxes and kicks.


Notes: Same problems as before.  Stop chasing lame punches.  Was rocking the head movement at least, but need to keep my gloves pinned to my face.


Different sparring partner, smae lame ass problems.  Peppered him with leg kicks.  I punched him once, knocked out a contact lens, and he stopped.  I really hate this crap.  Don't wear contacts if you're affraid to lose them.


Conditioning: Was off tonight.  Got to work thai pads with coach.  I need to relax, torque my hips more, and bring my hands back to my face.


Based on all the problems I had tonight, I've decided to go back to peek a boo style guard.


Edit: Now that I'm in a better mood, all was not lost.  I still managed to work my angles really well tonight.  I lured a guy with a lead hook and then slammed him with an overhand right. Another guy I kept luring into my leg kicks.

1 comment:

  1. Sorry you had some pretty cruddy competition, at least it teaches you what not to do. This happens all the time to me in tennis and fencing and i get just as frustrated. Hopefully you can salvage what you can from these experiences, also, it was fun hanging out with you the other day

    ReplyDelete