Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Training Log: Entry 274


Worked the heavybag today for the first time in a while.  Started off with some shadow boxing first to warm-up and look for openings in my game.  Handspeed doing alright,  


From there, put on the 16oz gloves and drilled a little boxing.  My punching power is way up after switching my stance, and trying to do a better job of working parrying, patting, slipping, bobbing and weaving, and blocking into my bag routine.  Worked some roundhouse kicks, knees, and elbows as well. 


Did some more shadow work focusing on footwork and moving forward agressively while defending and moving back at an angle when evading. 


From there, did a drill I really like.  Put on my headgear and mouthguard and gave my fiancee her 10oz bag gloves and let her fire punches at me while I could only defend. Great way to train my defensive skills.  Spent a lot of time bobbing and weaving and slipping, and threw in some patting and blocking.  Parrying wasn't happening much.  Need to learn how to use that in conjunction with other defensive skills/against multiple punches.  Focused on planting myself and defending rather than running away.  She did an outstanding job of keeping the pressure up, and I found myself inevitably backing away, but much more gradually and slower than I would usually do.  Hopefully I can make this drill a staple of my routine.


Note: Do not face down when bobbing and weaving.  Gonna eat a knee or an elbow that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment