Thursday, August 24, 2006

Training Log: Entry 271


MT tonight


Warm-up
Drills
Conditioning


Warm-up: Still sinking power into those hooks and loving it


Drills 1: Attacker boxes and low kick, defender defends boxing and eats leg kick.


Note: Defense was on fire tonight.  I realized in the last few classes that the reason my defense was so crappy was that I kept moving rather than planting and trying to actively defend the blows.  Plated myself, and let my hands go.  Throwing out pats, shifting my guard, slipping, even a bob and weave. From my modified peek a boo, remember you need to slide gloves up to block headshots, down to block bodyshots.  For once, I finally learned how to cover my face while slipping and weaving.  Pats don't have to go far from the face, I was able to pull it off with a glove on my face.   


Drill 2: Same as above, but check the now arm kick.


Note: Knee goes inside elbow on armkick check


Drill 3: Same as above, but defender throws counter arm kick.


Note: Pay more attention to leg before checking.  Focus then react.


Conditioning: Nothing I ca't handle.  Pyramids.


 


Last class of the summer training sessions.  Overal summary


MT:


Focus was on defense this summer, and that focus paid off in spades.  Finally can slip, bob and weave, parry, block, duck, etc etc.  Before this, was all about offense and a strong jaw.  Must not lose this!


Movement got better as well.  No longer just straight in and out, learning how to use lateral movement and angles.  Next session, make this the focus.


Offense, though not a focus, is getting smoother.  Pulling off combos rather than isolated shots.  Letting go with both hands.


Conditioning raised to a whole new level. 


Knees/clinch/elbows not really improved much.  More of a focus on basics.


BJJ:


Skipped out on last month due to not liking the class structure of the new coach and paranoia of shoulder.  Affected results.


Learned how to use my legs more effectively. 


Furthermore, learned to work off my back more, my major weak point.  Upa and roll, triangles and armbars and kimuras.  Really awesome to have confidence there.


Learned more about where to place my weight for stability


Not much from mount.


Almost no takedowns improvement, but at least learned I like to use a firemen's carry and cattle catches.


Lifting:


Deadlift numbers didn't increase much, but form has gotten so much better.  Feel much more of the pull from my legs than my back.  Learned I respond much better to singles than triples.


Found out I have a good overhead press considering I haven't trained it in forever.


Body responded well to the shift in training styles.  Looking forward to getting back into heavy lifting.


General Health:


Bodyfat way down, weight is down, cardio is up.  Haven't run much this summer, but I got PT to make up for that.


 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment