Thursday, August 10, 2006

Training Log: Entry 264


MT tonight


Warm-up
Drills
Conditioning


Warm up: Kicking speed is improving, as is form.


Drill 1: Attacker boxes and low kicks.  Defender defends and leg checks.


Note: Was paired up with yet another southpaw tonight.  Used this as an opportunity to practice front hand parry.  A little screwy at first, but got the hang of it real quick.  Awesome feeling.


Drill 2: Same as above, but off the leg check throw an immediate arm kick.


Note: Partner seemed a little new, so the intensity wasn't much.  Still, my patting and parrying was even better than before.


Sparring with only boxing and leg kicks.  Allowed to throw arm kick if off of leg check


Notes: Night of outfighting tonight.  Only had one partner taller than me.  The guy taller than me had much better hands (former boxer), but horrible legs, so I spent the round staying out of his hand range and planting leg kicks.


Second partner was too gassed to put up a defense.  I waited until he'd plant a leg mid step, then blast it with a leg kick.  Lured him with a left hook into a leg kick.  Ate a few shots, but nothing major.


Third partner might have been new.  He woudl get a few punches in.  Need to not learn back when taking straight shots, move to the side.  Was able to plant past his defense.  Drew his arms down with a leg kick and then blasted him in the face.


Fourth partner pissed me off.  He was a good fighter, but he hit me with a superman left hook and then alluva sudden acted like his eye was bugging him.  I didn't counter, let him readjust.  Later in the round, same exact thing happens with same exact mysterious eye problem.  Lame.  If you can't take a counter punch, don't do stupid crap.  He got my legs with some good kicks.  Good lateral movement.  I punched past his defense a few times.


Conditioning: Light tonight.  good ab work though.

7 comments:

  1. Are you skipping out on Grappling training, or just not mentioning it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Skipping sadly.  I'm not a fan of the new teacher, and after missing 1 week because of the cruise, I really didn't miss it.  I like the progress I'm making in MT and striking, so I figure I'll focus on that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've never seen boxers jump-rope?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I consider that hopping in place. : )

    ReplyDelete