Friday, January 12, 2007

Training Log: Entry 342

Lifting

Squats of 275
5,5,5,3,1

Notes: Knees are finally traveling right.  Needed more rest between sets on those last two.  Last set was strange, legs kinda collapsed on me, didn't wanna risk it.

Bench of 225 and Bodyweight Pull-ups
5X5, switching between the two.

Notes: Wanting to increase my efficiency so switched off between the two exercises.  Lowered the weight on bench to rest my shoulder, form was good.  Got a good pull on my lats for pull-ups.  Had to switch my grip to use on a cross beam rather than a bar on the last two sets because bar was occupied.  This actually felt really good, I'll try to integrate it normally.

Decided to switch up my grip training.  I'm burnt out on timed holds for the 1, so I'm gonna work some repitition effort days in with my heavy resistance days.

Repition effort of the 1.

Right hand (rep of the 1)
22, 8, 4

Left hand
17, 7, 4

Notes: Much more entertaining.  Better quality control of reps.  Next week, try for more.

5 comments:

  1. Man, I want my training gripper already.Good stuff finding some alternative training methods to keep things fresh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. my friend says he only goes 1/4 of the way for squats to give him "explosive power" in MMA. Is he a retard or is there actually some truth to his reasoning?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joe Defranco has a routine for improving max jump hieght that has quarter squats in it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Er.. less a routine than "dirty tricks" as he calls them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. He needs to lift explosively to get explosive power.  Quarter squats have a use, but they are not a staple.

    ReplyDelete